[Oe List ...] Have you been watching the Vietnam series on PBS?

Herman Greene hfgreenenc at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 19:24:21 PDT 2017

Tonight was the final session. All that the US fought for was lost. But
what we fought for was an abstraction at the leadership level and at the
level of noncombatant citizens, right and left, as well. On the one hand we
fought to defeat Communism and keep our promises to our allies, on the
other we fought for a mistake. The lives of the people involved in the war
on all sides, perpetrators and victims, were forgotten.

Never has the story of this war or perhaps any war been told like it was in
this series. All sides were presented. Every side was right and every side
was wrong and so much, so much, so much carnage, suffering and tragedy. The
armaments, the bombing, the artillery, oh my. Bullets flying by the
millions.

I feel anger for our the perfidy of our national leaders and for the war
crimes committed on all sides. And I, like the protester at the end of the
series, feel sorry at my own simplification of the issues, for my
righteous, blind resistance.

Three of my high school classmates died in the war. Now I want to go to the
wall and touch their names.

Herman

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 12:25 PM, McGuire, Jann & Fred via OE <
oe at lists.wedgeblade.net> wrote:

> I'm profoundly grateful for this amazing 21st Century Art piece. Last
> night reminded me of a couple of Vietnam veterans: my cousin  J.Mac Cates,
> a career army officer, who died young of leukemia, probably caused by agent
> orange exposure, as well as Israel Reyna, a teaching colleague.
>
> I appreciate this ongoing art form conversation. It has mostly been on the
> Reflective level. Can't wait for Interpretive and Decisional. Here's an
> Objective observation, though not an exact quote. An interviewee last night
> said that the student protests and veteran counter protests caused a divide
> in the country that has never healed.
>
> I was struck by young John Kerry's speech. I felt emotional when the
> veterans threw their medals at Nixon's White House barriers.
>
> Thank you all,
>
> Jann

Herman F. Greene
2516 Winningham Road