[Oe List ...] Symbols are Important

Rod Rippel via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Fri Sep 1 08:39:34 PDT 2017

Dear Friends,

    Symbols are important!
    I doubt there are many citizens who can remember one thing Andrew Jackson did for our Country.  Not that he didn’t do many perhaps.  But I am objecting to the President’s recent proposal to remove Harriet Tubman as the new Symbol on our 20-Dollar bill.  The struggle to eliminate slavery as an institution and the subsequent turmoil of Civil Rights for all citizens up until, and including this very day, have made a huge impact on our nation and its history.
That struggle deserves to be recognized and memorialized and not dismissed.
Tubman, or some equivalent figure from our Black citizen’s population, deserves to be honored, and not summarily dismissed by our current President.

Rod Rippel