[Oe List ...] ORID—A “Life” Method

Don Bushman onedonbushman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 09:16:35 PDT 2017

I have found forcing myself to begin each level with the word "What" helps
me do all four levels-
To me Why asks for interpretation--so I ask instead for What did the author
intend, etc.

I also find as Randy suggests our ORID is a recognition of what is already
present. I would bet we could find ORID in Socrates.

I also find the brain research helpful here,

O-the lizard brain is always scanning all incoming information (five
senses) and determines what needs to be paid attention
R-the middle brain attaches emotions to the important information the
lizard brain sends forward
I-the neo cortex makes sense out of our emotional reaction (interestingly
enough it does so to enable us to collaborate more with our community)
D-our heart encourages us to our final choice. (The best way I have of
talking about the spiritual reality/level)

So Objective level gets out *what *we acknowledge is present,
Reflective level gets out *what *our responses are,
Interpretive level gets out *what *sense we make of it all
Decisional level questions get out *what *value we give it.

Of course as Joe Pierce would point out, one can also do an Objective level
ORID, a reflective level ORID, etc. depending on the emotional maturity of
thegroup one is working with.

I would be interested in having a dialog about how Wilber's intevral map
informs ORID conversations.

Warmest regards
Don Bushman