[Oe List ...] Salmon: Weigel room!

James Wiegel via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Wed Jun 7 17:45:00 PDT 2017

Thanks, Bill, and all who have responded.  Just finished irrigating my yard, and we pack and leave in the morning heading cross country.  Been distracted.  Interesting, that the Pentecost Hymn should receive so much attention, isn't it?  Something happened, in and around the Crucifixion of Jesus of Nazareth, back a couple of thousand years ago that, today, draws interest, identity and allegiance from a diverse, dispersed, global community over 1,000,000,000 strong -- and the account of Pentecost is one of a couple of events that turned the absurd death of that strange man into a community or movement still going strong today.
The thing I like most about your response, Bill, when you are talking about old folks getting out of the way, is the implication that theologizing is an activity that happens in present time, in relation to the lives of living people, trying to become aware of and make sense of what is really going on in their lives, and in a way that is transformative, makes a difference in their living.
The other thing that happened to me is I dug out "The Responsibility of the Church for Society".  The Ecumenical Institute used the last page of that to work on the image of social pioneer.  In the paper, Niebuhr outlines 3 kinds of responsibility:  Apostolic (announce Word, make disciples), Pastoral (care for the lost and last), and Social Pioneer (respond first  .. . ).
hmm. I guess I don't know where I am going with this. . . Jim Wiegel
“That which consumes me is not man, nor the earth, nor the heavens, but the flame which consumes man, earth, and sky."  Nikos Kazantzakis
401 North Beverly Way,Tolleson, Arizona 85353623-363-3277jfwiegel at yahoo.comwww.partnersinparticipation.com