[Oe List ...] Listserve on prayer, 2-story universe, etc.

Del Morrill via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Tue Sep 20 17:26:25 PDT 2016

Dear ones,

I've been following this most interesting discussion with the hope that
theological discussion is wide enough to embrace our various ways of
experiencing and talking about the "spirit".  I would say that a large
number of the clients I see will tell me that they are not "religious" but
they are "spiritual"  I have come to understand that they often think of the
church building and its beliefs as "religious".  By spiritual, they usually
mean they have found other ways to speak of how they journey through their
lives.

Two remembrances come to me, especially at this time.

# 1 Experience - A visit to my sister's family when I was extremely ill and
deeply depressed and sorrowful.  I sat in my misery looking at a family of
politically and religiously conservative, Pentecostal Christians, who's
beliefs I had been highly critical of, filled with joy and love for each
other, for me (their worrisome sister who they felt might border on the
satanic), and for those whom they cared for outside of their immediate
family.

As I watched this amazing and delightful group of people, it dawned on my
critical self, that who am I to judge how other people express the
relationship they have to that which is beyond most explanation or
description?  The "religious" or spiritual is about personal experience -
NOT philosophical or theological rightness or wrongness. Throughout history,
people have tried to find words to describe their own  experiences of the
awe and wonder of life and of humanity in all its intelligence and murkiness
of mind; in all its greatness and baseness.

And the very powerful thought came to me, "What if NONE of us ever truly
enters the so-called "pearly gates" (that is, grows up spiritually) until
ALL of us, regardless of creed or theological "correctness" (be it
ICA-correctness or Pentecostal correctness) does it together hand in hand.

#2 Experience - Taking part in the Methodist service of a church in Columbus
Ohio in which Eileen and George were very active.  I, who basically am bored
with and even dislike church services and the language in it (including the
Daily Office) was awed by this urban church in the midst of the poorest of
the poor. Its congregation had just about every culture, life-style and
economic class sitting together, having the time of their lives.

This church, had innumerable social and economic programs for the community,
a fantastic gospel and jazz band and choir leading people in amazing
singing, and people standing up and witnessing about what had happened in
their lives that week.  And what was most amazing to me is that each one
spoke about their experience in language that they felt expressed their
"experience" - about as many possible ways you can imagine, from the most
conservative religious expressions to the vaguest and most uncertain
language. And everyone, regardless of how they, themselves might have
described it, said "amen!"

This is one church I will not forget.  It's too bad that there seem so few
of them truly serving the people in their own community.  This church goes
OUT to the people and invites them IN, as well - not too many congregations
do I find doing both.

I would hope our theological and philosophical discussions are just as
expressive.

In peace,

Del

Change of any sort requires courage.