[Oe List ...] another Reply to Paul's request

via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sat Jan 10 18:41:23 PST 2015

Paul et al,

Consider a wedding “in the Manner of Friends”.  The group gathers in silence. At some point the each of the two people being married makes a statement about their decision to marry “in the presence of this gathered community”  Other people may also rise and make statements (advice or blessing or start a song).  At the end a set time an appoint Friends starts general handshaking.  Everyone present signs a marriage certificate--these become treasures for the new family.  A description of what is going to happen and the words to any songs or readings can be handed out to people if they arrive.  There is no celebrant but there are designated people to sit with the couple, to model silence and to signal time for the handshakes and end.

If you are interested I will locate a published description and procedure.

Mary Hampton

member Religious Society of Friends (Quakers)