[Oe List ...] [Dialogue] This is NOT ABOUT Charles Lingo or the Ukraine

Randy Williams via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Thu Oct 23 03:58:14 PDT 2014

Jim,

I can't find anything in the file to send you, but allow me to share a thought. We spoke of "whistle points" as those points on the SP, etc. where you could "trigger an avalanche."  Likewise, we spoke of "pressure points" as those points where, when you apply pressure, you "stop the bleeding."  Do both of these not have implications for strategic planning?

In systems theory they speak of two kinds of feedback loops--reinforcing and balancing. Reinforcing feedback loops intensify the momentum. Sounds like the same effect as whistle points. Balancing feedback loops slow things down and stabilize the situation. Sounds like pressure points.

It strikes me that in devising strategies one way to approach it would be to discern if the situation, in order to resolve the contradiction, calls for a reinforcing approach or a balancing approach, and then choose reinforcing strategies informed by whistle points, or balancing strategies, informed by pressure points, accordingly. Does this make any sense?

Randy

Sent from my iPad