[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA Oct. 17-18

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Fri Oct 24 22:09:19 PDT 2014

*FRI OCT 17** Church of the Brethren, Monroeville, to St. Bruno RC,
Greensburg, PA*

We had breakfast. Mary doesn’t keep green tea so I had coffee. We thanked
Jim and Mary for the home stay and Jim took us back to the Church. In the
last few days I've been amazed at the number of local activists that attend
our evening gatherings. The distance that they come to attend also astounds
me. The last two nights we have had to travel through the city for at least
a half-hour each way to get to and from the Church. So getting ‘home’,
getting unpacked and settled, getting up, having breakfast, packing up and
getting back to Church takes a great deal of time. Because of that I didn’t
spend much time in conversation with Jim and Mary.  I loaded up my bike and
got on the road.  There were lots of hills again today. The nice thing
about hills is riding down them!  Once again Deb had arranged a Home-stay.
Our hosts were Nancy and Allen Kikovich. Kris, Fernando, and I were picked
up by Nancy at 5:30pm. They had remodeled an old barn and made it into a
cottage. We got the cottage. They were expecting their daughter home from
college on a mid-semester break, so Allen took us ¼ mile down to the local
diner where we had dinner. We found our way back to their house in the
dark. We had a chance to shower, relax, and sleep in a real bed.

*SAT OCT 18* * St Bruno RC, Greensburg to Unitarian Universalist Church,
Ligonier, PA*

We were notified that we were to come from the cottage to the Kikovich’s
house for breakfast. Nancy served lovely egg and cheese sandwiches. Then we
said goodbye to Nancy, packed up and Allen took us back to the Church. The
route was 19 miles. Because of the hills the first 6 miles I averaged 3
mi/hr. I calculate I walk 2 miles for every 20 miles I'm using the bike. I
left at 8:30am and got to my destination at 1:30pm. I did stop for some hot
chocolate. When I arrived the Church was locked. The pastor of the Church
is Rebecca Booher. I phoned her to find out if she knew of Robert Booher, a
good friend of mine. She had never heard of him and didn’t know how she
could be related to him. I went to a nearby Pub, ate lunch and did some
journaling. The church building was very small. There was no steeple. The
sanctuary had no pews. The chairs were arranged in 2 circles with an aisle
though the middle from the entrance to the altar. We took the chairs down
and put our bedrolls out in the sanctuary. The kitchen and dining hall were
downstairs. We were blessed with a potluck. All of the locals wore name
tags so I got out my March name tag and wore it. There were no
presentations and no meetings, just informal conversations. One of the
locals, Sara, who lived further east of the church, indicated that we would
have steep hills tomorrow. Before the evening concluded I asked Doug if I
could put my bike in the gear truck and ride in the cab. He said Ok.
--
Peace, David