[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA Oct. 12-13

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Tue Oct 21 20:54:36 PDT 2014

*SUN OCT 12* *Polo Grounds, Darlington to Episcopal Church, Alquippa, PA*

In the morning there was a heavy layer of frost on everything. I packed up
and loaded my gear. It’s much easier to do it before breakfast because the
Gear truck isn’t crowded. The amphitheatre and the refreshment building had
some outside light. That gave us some help in getting breakfast and packing
lunch. I did my enablement chores and then got on my bike and headed for
Alquippa. There were hills and I walked my bike a good deal. The highway
was surrounded by forest. I got to the Episcopal Church at noon and phoned
Elizabeth (Beth) Engelmann—I knew Vance from EI/ICA but I was not sure that
Beth and I met before Vance passed on. She said she was busy making dinner
for the potluck at the Church and would arrive about 4:30pm. I had my lunch
and journaled. Beth arrived with her partner, Steve Cleghorn. They brought
their share of the potluck. Ed and Steve were planning to go to Pittsburg
to a performance that Jackson Brown was giving. So we ate dinner before
everyone else and left.

Beth’s apartment is on the route we take tomorrow to Emsworth. We went to
her residence in Sewickley and paid attention to the route we would be
taking tomorrow. We arrived and settled in. Ed took a shower before he and
Steve set off for Pittsburg. Beth spent some time in the evening
corresponding with Sarah. Beth and Steve have been key contacts in setting
up the Pennsylvania routes. Beth has a very small apartment. Ed’s bedroom
was on the office floor, and mine was on the dining room couch. We were
grateful to be inside and warm. Beth helped me do some laundry before we
said goodnight.

*MON OCT 13* *Epis. Church, Alquippa to Holy Family RC Church, Emsworth, PA*

Beth made a delicious breakfast of roasted salmon and a variety of spreads.
Then we packed up and Steve took Ed and I back to the Church in Alquippa.
Steve also printed out the directions and gave me a copy. I made a note of
the return route because we were going back on the first 6 miles of today’s
route. When we got back to the church breakfast was over and I had to
scramble to get my lunch together. We had used the Church kitchen so there
were no stoves to put away and the solar trailer had been parked in the
shade so the panels were not up. I got on my bike and hit the road for
Emsworth.  When I arrived I had to walk a hill more difficult than any hill
so far on the March. The RC church had established a series of apartment
complexes that were residence for homeless children. One of the apartments
was empty. It had a small kitchen, a living room, and a series of rooms
with beds and bunk beds. Since the Gear truck hadn’t arrived I didn’t claim
a room. Once it arrived all the rooms/beds were taken. There was a space
behind the couch in the living room that I claimed.

We had an All-Camp meeting and discussed: pushing the carts; Pittsburg
Home-stay; planning for Nov 1 March into DC, and, issues that summarize and
state the purpose and accomplishments of the March. The meeting lasted
longer than planned so we took a 15-minute break and came back. We finished
the meeting and it was bedtime for me. Since my space was the living room,
there was still some conversation going on. There was a piano in the room
that Gavain found necessary to play. I went to bed with music and gabbing
going on, but it put me to sleep.
--
Peace, David