[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA Oct 7-8

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Wed Oct 8 22:17:35 PDT 2014

*TUE OCT 07* *UMC in Macedonia to Christ Episcopal, Kent, OH*

Because of last night’s meetings breakfast wasn’t until 7:30am. I donated
my granola to the kitchen but the menu was scrambled eggs and tofu. It was
hard to get from the kitchen truck to the church kitchen so there wasn’t
much out for lunch prep. I practiced what I learned from Rachel about using
Map quest and copied down today’s route. The route had at least 6 miles of
bike trail. The sun was behind clouds all morning. Occasionally there were
sprinkles of rain but I got more moisture from sweat than sprinkles. I
found the written map didn’t always correspond with the actual geography so
Map quest is sometimes out of date. I got to the church, ate lunch, and did
some journaling. Deb offered me an overnight homestay. Doug and I accepted
a stay with Kathy and Kevin Kerns. Dinner was a potluck at Fuller Park.
Kathy picked us up at the Church, took us to her house, then took us to the
Park for dinner. She had other plans with her family for dinner so she came
to the Park later and picked us up. When we got home I was able take a tub
bath—been a long time since I’ve had one—mostly showers.

*WED OCT 08* *Christ Episcopal, Kent to Community Center, Newton Falls, OH*

We ate breakfast with Kathy and Kevin Kerns. We shook hands with Kevin,
thanked him, then Kathy took Doug and I over to the church where a good
number of the Marchers stayed last night. They were finishing breakfast and
packing lunches. The evening before I put Sarah’s route and my bicycle
route on paper. Sarah’s route looked simpler so I took it. After I went 2
miles out of the way I asked for directions. I was told to go back 2 miles
and stay on Newton Falls Rd. It was meant to be a 21-mile day. I went 25
miles!  All the Marchers I asked said they had trouble finding the route,
too. The planned all-camp meeting was postponed because the Marchers were
so late getting in, and there was a meeting in Youngstown that some went
to. Since the Peoples March in NYC, Michael has re-joined the March. He’s
got Mexican heritage. He and Andre, a Native American, cooked dinner. It
was a good vegan meal. Doug showed some DVDs. Tomorrow’s another 20+ mile
day to Youngstown.

--
Peace, David