[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA June 25-26

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sun Jun 29 22:12:07 PDT 2014

*WED Jun 25*

The route from the high school to Otis, CO suggested a dirt road. I chose
to ride all the way on Hwy 34 from Akron to Otis because the bike lane was
7 ft wide. The route published for those who plan to walk every step of the
way—they classify themselves as Spirit Walkers—was 3 miles beyond Otis.  I
got to Otis in time to do some journaling and to adjust my bike seat.  We
have a rest day tomorrow in Yuma, CO.  I’ll get some hardware there and
have time to fix it.

We set up the tents in the City Park right across from the Presbyterian
Church. A highway patrol came and said that his department was going to
help find us places to stay inside because the weather was too dangerous
the next few days. The cooks were cooking dinner under a patio roof in the
park when the wind and lightening came in. We rushed the meal prep from our
‘kitchen’ to the Otis Presbyterian Church. The meal was ready in half an
hour and we ate dinner in the church hall.

While we were eating the storm broke. There was lightening, wind, and
torrents of rain. The wind was so strong that I feared that the tent I had
my equipment in had blown down. In an hour the rain let up to a steady
sprinkle.  By that time the church host told us that we could sleep in the
church hall.  I checked my tent.  There was some water on the floor but my
equipment was dry.  I chose to spend the night in the tent rather than take
my equipment through the rain and re-settle in the church hall.

*THU Jun 26*

The night before, in the church hall, it was announced that we would leave
at 8 AM. The route was only 13 miles from Otis to Yuma, CO.  At 8 it looked
like it would take another ½ hour before people would be packed up and
ready to March.  I left at 8 on my bike and got to Yuma by 10:30. I shopped
for material to fix my bike seat and got to the Laundromat by noon.   After
lunch I set up the tent—labeled Tasha Mahal, a 9 person tent.  Before
dinner there was a meeting focused on sharing the impact the Marchers
wanted to have on friends, acquaintances, and society in general.  There
were a multitude of opinions, but no way to establish a consensus.

After dinner a thunderstorm arrived. We had received permission to go to a
church, which was a half block from the park.  So we went to the church to
avoid danger from the lightning.  It rained for an hour and ½.  At that
point we were given permission to stay in the church. I returned to the
tent, grabbed my air-mattress and sleeping bag, returned to the church, and
spent the night there, so grateful to be inside.
 --
Peace, David