[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA June 4

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sun Jun 8 21:27:58 PDT 2014

*Wed JUN 4*—CB has a sign on the back of his truck that reads ASK ME ABOUT
JESUS.  I’ve seen it since Santa Fe, NM, and had a chance to ask about the
sign last evening before dinner.  Michael Dowd was a visitor to the March
Rest Day in Santa Fe.  Michael spoke at the Adult Study Group and preached
at the 11 o’clock service that I attended.  He’s written a book entitled *Thank
God for Evolution*.  CB said he wasn’t familiar with Michael.  I inquired
how long it would take if I asked about Jesus. He explained that he keeps
company with a lot of campers and likes camping out, but he didn’t answer
my question.

One earlier evening around the campfire a conversation started about bumper
stickers.  There was a heated discussion about the kind of feedback and
damage you can get from bumper stickers.  Someone indicated that you
shouldn’t have a sticker that said anything about NRA—positive or
negative—because you would likely suffer a personal confrontation, or
damage to your vehicle.  Another piece of advice given was to have a bumper
sticker that reads ASK ME ABOUT JESUS because you’ll likely find that no
one responds to the sticker.

Once we had breakfast and packed up this morning, we used the shop at CS
Woods to check the air pressure in all the tires of our vehicles.  We also
were able to fill the water tanks in the Food truck.  We’re scheduled to
continue taking some dirt roads north through the valley.  The directions
are complex. I wouldn’t have any trouble if we were in the Loess Hills!
But I’m not ready to go by myself.  Since Sarah’s scouted the route, she
knows exactly where to go.

Once we were packed up and ready to go Sarah decided she wanted to stay and
use the Internet.  Since I am driving the Gear truck I was stuck at the
campsite until 10.  Earlier Kat asked if she could ride my recumbent.  I
said, “OK” and she left with the Marchers at 8 AM.  Sarah left so late that
we arrived at the first rest/snack stop.  The commode was parked next to a
creek that went under the gravel road.  Some of the younger members of the
March jumped in the creek, skinny-dipping in front of all the rest of us.
The water must have been very cold.

Then, Sarah led me on to the campsite, which was a mile off Hwy 69 at mm
42.  It was a farm that raised chickens, horses, and cattle.  The animals
were kept out of our campsite, but the manure odor was evidence that it had
been used for pasture.  I set the solar trailer up as usual and Sarah
shuttled me back down 8 miles.  It was a steady uphill walk.  On the way
Kat drove the Sag Wagon by me and stopped.  She asked me if I wanted a
ride.  I said “No”, but asked her where the recumbent was. She said she
couldn’t ride up the hill and left it in the Commode at the last rest stop.

Brian and Anita, from Taos, NM, have joined the March. They will be with us
to Omaha, NE.  Anita seems to be driving their car.  Brian is Marching and
making a photographic story of the March.  During supper we reviewed the
next day’s route.  And, Izzy announced that the Climate March Gypsy band
has a Gig on Thursday eve in Westcliffe, CO.
--
Peace, David