[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA June 3

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sat Jun 7 15:51:35 PDT 2014

*Tue JUN 3*  I got the solar trailer hooked up and luckily the Gear truck
started.  CB drove the pick-up with the commode trailer.  We left Trinchera
Ranch and drove a steady climb 5.5 miles northeast on Hwy 160.  At that
point we took a dirt road north, which was a steep climb.  Then it was
‘down’ a dirt road 13 mi.  The campsite was at Collectors Specialty Woods.
The postal address is Gardner, CO, but we were in the countryside in a
mountain valley.  I unhooked the solar trailer, set it up, parked the truck
and got a ride back up the hill 11 miles to the Commode truck.  Originally
I had planned to March the 11 miles back.  There was a little, collapsible
bicycle stored in the commode.  I have never ridden one of them so I got on
it and started down the dirt road.  I had to peddle several times!  I’m
guessing that it was at least 1000 ft. of drop. I got back to camp in an
hour and ate my lunch. The bike’s top speed pedaling would be 5 mph.
Getting back in an hour means I averaged 11 mph!

At dinner Ed responded to his unannounced reorganizing the Gear truck
yesterday. He indicated that there was an obvious need to organize it and
there was agreement.  Since Specialty Woods cuts many big trees into wood
for designs they had plenty of sawdust.  We got permission to empty the
commode and replenish our supply of sawdust.

We were warned to put the food away and lock the back door of the Kitchen
truck. In addition to bears we should watch out for elk, deer, and coyotes.
 We went to bed wondering what would happen.  Since there were many sheds
for the lumber, and there was a strong evening wind, many marchers found a
place in one of the sheds to put their mat and sleeping bag. I did and Izzy
had a film of Pete Seeger that we watched.

--
Peace, David