[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA May 30-31

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Fri Jun 6 12:26:14 PDT 2014

*Friday, May 30*  We continued north on Hwy 522 a mile to the New
Mexico/Colorado border. We took pictures and symbolized our journey with a
rite. We stood and pointed west and shouted out each state we’ve passed
through—California, Arizona, New Mexico.  And then we pointed east and
shouted Colorado.  Some of the group had to return to camp to finish
packing up.  I chose to ride my bike, so after the crossing-the-state line
I continued to San Luis, CO.  The sign at the entrance to the town
indicates that it was the first city to be incorporated in CO.  Today was a
20-mile March so I biked the 20 miles. The bike lane in CO narrowed to 2
1/2 feet.  It was up a river valley.  The elevation in San Luis is 7950
ft.  Our campsite is in a churchyard that has become a Shrine.  Izzy talked
the local Café into staying open so we could come to the porch with our
instruments and play/sing some songs.  Not everyone went to the café, but
that concluded the evening.

*Saturday, May 31*  We continued north into CO.  After having ridden 33 mi.
in the last 2 days, I wasn’t prepared to make the 15.6 mi. March to Ft.
Garland, so I drove the Gear truck.  The campsite was next to the town’s
Museum.  I rode back 1 mi. at lunchtime to be with the rest of the Marchers
when a representative of Ft. Garland came to take a picture of the Marchers
but they weren’t there.  I met Kathy on the little green bike.  She said
they would be another 2 hours.

So I rode back to Ft. Garland and searched for Izzy and found him coming
back from a motel. He had reserved it for 2 nights. I decided to join him—a
bathtub, laundry, and an inside bed.  It was at least ¾ of a mile to the
campsite, which took several trips on my bike to get my laundry, computer,
notebook, etc.  A woman from Colorado Springs visited us at dinnertime.
 She conducted a meeting with most of the women.

We acknowledged that Ethan was departing the March to raise his money for
the March.  He might join us again when we reach Denver.  At dusk I rode up
to the Motel, got ready for bed and went to sleep.  Izzy planned a formal
send-out party at the Motel.  At 11 PM Izzy and the send-out crowd arrived
in our room. They set up a video player and watched videos for an hour,
then went back to camp.  I watched the videos from my place in the bed!

--
Peace, David