[Oe List ...] [Dialogue] Charles Moore Memorial

jlepps@pc.jaring.my via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Thu Jul 10 08:00:22 PDT 2014

Thanks, George, for pulling this together and for
representing those of us who will not be
physically present. Now here's my two cents worth:

Charles Moore was, as many have attested, good at
confronting people with decisive questions that
affected their lives. Well, he’s done it again.
His death surprised us all. And when we’re
surprised, we’re up against Mystery, another name
for which is God. It’s difficult now as always to
affirm that ultimate unknown as Father.

Trying to understand or explain Charles’ death is
really beside the point. Together, though
scattered, we've mourned and celebrated the
unique and unrepeatable life of one who
influenced so many of us. And in honoring him
we've once again manifested John Donne’s insight:

                No one is an island entire of itself; every one
                is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
                if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
                         is the less
It seems we
are the less with Charles gone. And the bell tolls for us all.

John Epps