[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA 7/25-26

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Tue Jul 29 18:00:16 PDT 2014

*FRI Jul 25*

Our Lincoln host, Trish has 2 jobs: one is at HyVee in the evening, and the
other is taking care of 3 young girls during the day. She got up served us
breakfast, went and picked up the girls, and returned. JJ and I chose to
skip the 7am Yoga in the park, scheduled for the Marchers. But we wanted to
get the garden tour at 9am. Trish was also interested in the tour. Tim
Rinne and his wife were offering the tour. He distributed a printed copy of
the article in *Mother Earth News* (April/May 2014) entitled *Homestead
Hamlets: Neighborhood Gardens That Create Community Food Security.* If you
want to access it on the web go to <http:
www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/neighborhood-gardens-zm0z14amzsor.aspx>.
If you read his article you can see that the garden is a response to
climate change. I shared with Tim our Carson City, Tahoe Drive,
Zahrt/Sutton-Tews transformation of 2,000 sq ft of lawn into garden. I/we
have not been as successful in recruiting our neighborhood into gardening. He
and his wife have created what they describe as a Hamlet out of their
square block. It now has a total of more than ½ acre of garden (<Guide to
Urban Homesteading>--MOTHER EARTH NEWS).  Tim took us on an hour and ½
tour, describing what it had taken to transform the 20 family neighborhood
to the Hawley Hamlet.

Once the tour was complete we piled in Trish’s van and went back to her
house for lunch. Then everybody was ready for a nap after which Trish took
the girls home. When she came back JJ and I got to know about her
situation. She has 4 daughters, is divorced, and has shared custody of the
daughters with her divorcee. This week is his week for the girls, so we had
access to the girl’s bedrooms. She has had a great deal of support from her
friends and her church.

There was a fund-raising event at the Zoo Bar from 7-10pm. Trish had gotten
pizza when she took the girls home, so she served JJ and me pizza. We left
for the fund-raiser at the Zoo Bar in time to set up for the Climate
Justice Gypsy Band. When we arrived there was a band playing and it played
until 7:45. Another band was scheduled to play but they let us ‘squeeze-in’
and play 3 or 4 numbers. We did that around the promotion of the Fund
Raiser. Although I don’t know how much was raised, I’ve heard that it was
successful.  Eventually JJ and I went back to Trish’s.

*SAT Jul 26*

Trish gets home from work at HyVee about 10:30pm. She was up at 5:45am
cooking breakfast—hash-browns and scrambled eggs! JJ and I ate breakfast
and went to the gear truck first then to the cafe, our departure point.
Trish joined us because she doesn’t have responsibility for the children on
the weekend. We thanked her and said goodbye at the café.  We waited for
everyone to arrive and finally circled up at 7:55. Once the announcements
were made and we symbolized our departure by all putting one of our hands
in the circle and lifting them as we named our departure, it was time to
go.

I left and found it complicated to get out of Lincoln. I discovered that US
Hwy 6 and Cornhusker Hwy are the same road. It was a 15 mile ride to 1st
UMC in Waverly, NE, and I got there in 2 ½  hours. Since it was Saturday
they were cleaning up the church for Sunday morning. They were preparing
piles of sweet corn in the kitchen. I suspect they had a potluck scheduled
for after Sunday worship. We had permission to use the church grounds, but
not the building.  It clouded up and began to sprinkle. I set up the big
tent in anticipation that it was going to rain. The clouds blew over, the
sun came back out, and we ate supper. Of course we had sweet corn!

--
Peace, David