[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA July 24

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Mon Jul 28 16:18:57 PDT 2014

THU Jul 24

There was a late breakfast—7am—because the Rally at the NE Capital steps in
Lincoln was scheduled for 5pm. We planned to meet at the Bourbon Theatre on
O St at 4pm.  The plan was to March as a group 4 blocks over to the Capitol
and arrive shortly before 5. I walked over to the gear truck and got my
musical equipment and went over to the Capitol steps to set up. We were
scheduled to play before the Rally started.

Bob Fritzmeier,  a friend from Sioux City, arrived. We had a chance to
catch up with each other before the Climate Justice Gypsy Band began to
play.  We played for about 5 minutes and then the speakers were introduced.
There were a substantial number of Nebraskans at the Rally. Anna introduced
the March and then introduced Ed. Ed made a brief overview of the March and
turned the mike over to a Nebraskan who explained what Nebraskans are doing
about Climate Change, and how the March helps emphasize what they’re doing.

She explained that we are taking a petition, signed by numerous people, and
the Marchers to the Governor’s Mansion. Bob and I took my insturments over
to his car and joined the March to the Mansion. The gates to the yard were
all locked. Then a fellow read the proclamation to the Governor.  When he
finished the proclamation he must have pushed a button on the entrance
because an officer came out of the Mansion and over to the gate. He was
handed the petition with all its signatures then returned to the Mansion.
The Governor didn’t appear.

We Marched back to the steps of the Capitol where a pastor described what
was required of us, what we were doing, and gave her blessing. We then
headed over to the school where there was sweet corn and dinner for those
who wanted it. On the way over I discovered why Bob was so familiar with
Lincoln: he had attended University in Lincoln. As we moved along I took
the opportunity to introduce Bob to the Marchers. He was pleased to meet
them, find out where they were from, and get their perspective on the
March. I introduced him to Miriam, who has been elected as the Mayor of the
March. When Bob told her he was from Sioux City, she informed him that was
where she was born. He also made a financial contribution to the March,
which was much appreciated.

Since the next day was a stay-day I was introduced to the man who was the
taxi to my host’s residence. He took Bob and me back to Bob’s car to get
the bass and amp, then went to the gear truck where I packed the music
equipment and got my overnight equipment.  Bob had to be back in Sioux City
at his work on Friday morn, so we said “Goodbye” and departed.  Our host
was Trish. She was working at the checkout counter at HyVee until 10:30, so
JJ and I settled in and waited for Trish to get home. She arrived and we
had some conversation before bedtime.
--
Peace, David