[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA July 22-23

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sun Jul 27 21:43:08 PDT 2014

*TUE Jul 22*

Today we went from Utica to Seward, NE along US Hwy 34. There was a 4pm
Program phone call that discussed plans for the March’s trip through Iowa.
We had a group gathered round a phone, and the Des Moines office (Zach),
Sarah (overall March coordinator that is acting as the Iowa coordinator),
and at least one more on the conference call. I found it difficult to hear
the conversation coming from the phone that was lying on the ground in the
middle of the group.  The cities focused on were Des Moines, Iowa City, and
Davenport.  Organizations were mentioned that would cooperate with us.
Citizens for Community Improvement was one. I took the opportunity to
mention Practical Farmers of Iowa (PFI), and the Iowa Sierra Club. The
response was that PFI is supporting us by donating food. I’m disappointed
with the Iowa Chapter of the Sierra Club, but I’m not surprised. Last
year—Oct/Nov 2013—when I was making plans to do the Great March for Climate
Action, I contacted the Iowa Chapter and their response was, “No”. Shortly
after the conference call there was supper. There was no activity after
supper.

*WED Jul 23*

Today was 16 miles to Pawnee Lake, NE.  The countryside is rolling here so
I had to ride up and down hills. I thought I followed the route the gear
truck took and ended up on the east side of the lake. I discovered that our
campsite was on the west side of the lake, so I had to ride another 4 miles
up and down hills! I got my workout. There were no amenities. Some swam in
the lake. I didn’t want to swim in water that had come off the fields with
pesticides, and off the hog and cattle confinement yards, so I didn’t swim
in the lake!

We had a Village Council meeting at 4pm. To begin with the meeting was open
for group discussion. The Lincoln stay-day, the Omaha stay-day, and the
trip across Iowa were discussed. Then the Council (3 elected officials)
closed discussion and did some decision-making. Our coordinator, Anna
arrived, brought pizza, and gave us a briefing on our Lincoln stay. One
local person visiting the lake offered JJ a shower and a home-stay. Izzy
found out about it and joined him. The evening was without further group
activity.
--
Peace, David