[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA July 11-12

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Wed Jul 16 13:12:04 PDT 2014

*FRI Jul 11*

It was only a 15-mile day so we didn’t have wake-up until 5 AM. We circled
up and left Holdrege by about 7:15. It was cloudy and cool. I rode HWY 34
to Axtel, NE. our campsite was the Family Center at the Mosaic Bethpage
Village. The Family Center was complete with kitchen, meeting rooms,
bedrooms, and bathrooms. It’s been a long time since I've had the
opportunity to use a bathtub. And I had an opportunity to sleep indoors on
a regular mattress. Great!

Logistics and Coordination had a meeting at 3 PM. Sarah Spain is in charge
and is anticipating a shift (on July 20) from being our overall March
coordinator, to being our Iowa March coordinator. Sarah created an agenda
for the meeting, printed out copies and passed it around. This is a first!
 And we need to do more of this. After the Logistics meeting there was a
meeting on the financing of the March. It was indicated that the issue was
trust. It didn’t make sense to me. I suspect that those who haven’t raised
their money for the March don’t trust themselves and are projecting their
distrust to Ed, our leader. We had dinner and dispersed. It was
uncomfortable outside, but so well air-conditioned that it was
uncomfortable inside! Since we used their kitchen and the March tomorrow is
only 15 miles we didn’t plan to get up until 5 AM.

*SAT Jul 12*

We left from Axtell, NE on what turned into washboard gravel road. The
Marching directions didn’t indicate that it would be gravel. If I had known
I could/should have found an alternative on the highway. I bicycled 7 miles
before I got on RD 44 and went to Kearney, NE.  Coming north I crossed over
I-80. It made me feel like I’m back in my territory. The 1stUnited
Methodist Church let us stay in their gym so we didn’t have to set up
tents. And the kitchen was attached to the gym so we didn’t have to set up
our kitchen.

The hike must have been longer than the Marchers had anticipated, or the
gravel slowed them down. People arrived late and had to take naps so there
were no afternoon meetings. We hosted 3 Nebraskans at dinner. They gave us
background info on the work they’ve been doing to monitor the progress of
the proposed Keystone XL pipeline. They’ve spent time and money to resist
its progress. As time progresses KXL has been more deceptive in its
maneuvers. They have to identify each new deception and then proceed to
counteract it.

Kathy was in bed all afternoon and evening. Given her symptoms she judges
that she has the flu. Ed Fallon put up his tent early afternoon and slept
all afternoon and evening in his tent. The next morning he chose to stay in
his tent as we prepared to leave. So he may have the flu also.

After the evening conversation about the KXL pipeline with our guests,
people attended to their own needs and got ready for bed. A small group of
Marchers chose to do a Moonlight Walk. They left about 11 PM and Marched 14
miles to our next campsite at David Park, in Gibbon, NE.
--
Peace, David