[Oe List ...] Jaime for ST Tuesday, July 15 FINAL

via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sun Jul 13 16:58:58 PDT 2014

Kristo Rai @ FIFA

A word is set loose in human history that excuses no onefrom walking the life gifted one to live.  ChristoRoi reigns supreme.  That many refuseto live the one, unique, unrepeatable life they already have, ignoring thatthere was never one like them before, and no one like them will ever come again,leaves a lot of whining lives wasted in sidelines of history.

My daughter has a sign in her kitchen:  “$5 charge for whining”.   Being a Christo is a chosen role, rather thana whine of a victim ran over by circumstances (Roman rule) or mean-spirited (Scribesand Pharisees) external forces.  Mymantra: “the situation is never a person’s contradiction; one’s relationship toit, in fact, defines one’s personal circumstance!”  We may not be able to manage, let alonecontrol, our situation, but we sure have the option on how to relate to it.

The Christ-the-King notion has been turned into a widespreadcult on the butt-full Jesus idolatry terrain rather than the supremacy of theChrist-word and Christ-role as a practical option of our lives.  The danger is in reducing the Christ into acognitive exercise, a unit of belief and “faith” sans grounding in existential flesh and blood.  Grounding a historical image propagated bytheological reflection, be it from Augustine or Aquinas, Luther or Kierkegaard,cannot replace the bloody flesh on the historical barbwires of reality on one'stime.

Jesus the Christ is the exemplar par excellence in mytradition, but to be his disciple in practice means that the Jesus Christ of 2,000years ago takes on my likeness and my name is tagged on wrestling of the terrorof death and the triumphal marquee of the emptied tomb!  The Jesus of history fades and my historicalreality emerges.

I do not long for a journey to Palestine of old, nor wish adevotional visit to Salman’s Head ofChrist.  In the last three weeks, secularme stared daily on the aerial view of statue of the Christ the Redeemer aboveRio in Brazil, a figure I once saw in 1980 on a trek to South America.

Today, participants to the World Cup of FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) discover that a team excels more when itspassionate kick-and-run supersedes its mature but calculating professionalcredential.  Germany lumped host Brazilwhile Argentina shoved Netherlands aside in a free kick shoot-out after ascoreless time play.

Cristo Rei in Rio begs the question.  What is the Kristo Rai in our lives?  Put another way, what is the summum bonum, the highest good in yourlife?  The answer is a choice, not an automaticinheritance from heritage or academic expertise.

New Canadian friend Alex thinks that all Canada wants fromits young is to be good at hockey.  Mygrandchildren this summer play soccer and baseball; two of them are ambidextrousso they can hit and kick right and left, an ability of advantage when playingthe games.  At their tender age, they dreamof being professional players all their lives.

Family relations reign supreme to many so we treasure thepromise of clan, shield the family name from tarnish, and develop a competitiveedge to ensure high social standing.  Beingon top of standardized tests, in academia or at the workplace, is a premium forour children on our guard.  We judge aperson by commercial values; earning capacity is nurtured and guarded.  Business schools tout the virtues of “Looking after#1”.

Where leadership indicates a position in a pecking order, beingan authority or an elected official is cherished.  Sports and athletics hone the senses, commandthe muscular and skeletal eptitude that gets instincts to the height of animalsurvival all the way to inescapable hormonal charm.  Add intuition and we move into the graciousaffirmation of sensitive and strategic maneuvering.  Virtues labeled as "love and compassion"are often used to describe attainment in this field.  We obsess for adulation, to be liked and bepopular.

Managing language and precision in numbers adds the gift ofintellect into the personality stew.  Weconverse with the wisdom of tradition and annotate the literary leavings of thelearned, then dialogue with the voices that command assent among theeducated.  Today, it is the adoration ofthe meta-brain that allows for tenure and security in intellectual circles.  Expertise loquaciously clothed qualifies,certainty confidently expressed secures.

The gifts of instinct, the refinement of intuition, and thesophistication of intellect is nothing if it does not translate into theefficacy of practical intentions.  Livingeffectively demands a comprehensive mind, a strategic heart, a capable body anda resolute will.  Viewing one’s unique,unrepeatable self from those four portals lead to the highest good of the Cristo Rai role.

The FIFA of Brazil shows boldly its Cristo Rei image displayed on the hill!  Soccer players from 32 countries left their markson the field.  Argentina's Lionel Messi couldnot mess up das teamarbeit enough that Mario Gotze'sgoal on the 113 minute of play finally got Germany their Cup.

For us, like everyone else, to be human is to decide roles7/24.  Decide.  Alleluia!

j'aime la vie
pinoypanda2031 at aol.com

yesterday, appreciate; tomorrow, anticipate; today. participate. In all, celebrate!