[Oe List ...] Remembering Charles Moore

Al Lingo via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Thu Jul 10 10:24:48 PDT 2014

 Recent witnesses concerning the life and death of Charles Moore have expressed deep respect for him.  What a privilege it has been to hear the many voices of appreciation for the presence Charles chose to become.  Charles Moore continues on in good company!

 Concerning Charles' choice to die, I believe that he chose not to be mechanized by any social institution, whether it be a religious or secular authority.
Charles perceived the evil in being a dehumanizing cog in any church and/or community machine.
Charles chose another human alternative:  dramatically and profoundly saying "No" to continuing to live and participate in institutional acts of abuse.
Charles echos DH Lawrence: "DEATH IS NOT EVIL, EVIL IS MECHANICAL."
Charles Moore's death rattles our bones and recalls us to an awareness of divinity.

Concerning Charles' decisions to live over nearly eighty years, I am at a loss for personal and memorable collegial encounters and interactions we might have had.
However, today, his life has kept arising for me, beckoning me  to attention.
Please accept the following quote as another offering in celebrating the unfolding and fulfilled life journey of Charles Moore with us:

    "There seems to be a way for things to happen which is intrinsically right for them:  they become what they were meant to be ... Do human beings also tend to unfold according to such interior designs, or is our life wholly random?  It seems a reasonable and useful hypothesis to believe that we are like the rest of creation.  According to the Eastern doctrine 'dharma,' we are each called upon to achieve a particular life-pattern.  And while all patterns have equal dignity, each one of us should avail himself or herself of the possibility that is uniquely one's own and not someone else's.  Each of us should try to discover the pattern and cooperate with its realization ... Our entire life's purpose is already present within us, and furthermore, at each stage of our life there are subordinate purposes---steps along the way toward the fulfillment of our ideal pattern."   Piero Ferucci

May Charles Moore be well remembered,

Charles Lingo

Al Lingo
clingojr at aol.com