[Oe List ...] the news

via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Wed Jul 9 15:35:22 PDT 2014

This is on an objective level.  The only thing about Charles Moore’s death that has appeared in my local newspaper, the Austin American Statesman, was an obituary saying he died in Dallas, Texas and noting he had been pastor of Grace Methodist here in Austin.

On June 30, the same paper, AAS, reported that a man in Tokyo set himself on fire in a crowded train station because “ he criticized a Cabinet proposal to extend Japan’s security role in Asia.”  He was reported to be in serious condition.

The Quaker Friend / friend I shared with, expressed surprise that the manner of Charles’ death was not in the news.  He reminded me of the Quaker who immolated himself in the middle of the Vietnam war and of the fact that Secretary McNamara said that was one of the things that changed his mind about the war.

I can think of numerous explanations as to why one of Charles’ last places of residence and service might not publish what they surely know.   At the moment I will not speculate.

I have been grateful to all of you for your shared reflections and love.

mary