[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA July 2-3

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sun Jul 6 22:03:05 PDT 2014

*WED Jul 02*

About 3:30 AM there was a 5-minute downpour. Everyone sleeping outside on
the ground got wet.  I was in the tent.  Today the March was from Max, NE
to Macklin Bay campground.  It was not clear how to take a swim in the lake
because it was a reservoir.  But I was delighted that there were showers at
the new campground.  I’ve felt some discomfort on my bottom since I’ve been
biking every day.  While showering I discovered that my bike seat gave me a
blood blister on the bottom of my backbone.  So I had the first aid staff
attend to it.  We choose a large room in the commode and they recommended
that I not ride my bike tomorrow.  I haven’t been Marching for a month or
more so I arranged with Izzy to help him load up and be a passenger in the
Food truck.

Today we crossed out of the Mountain Time zone into Central Time and lost
an hour.  After dinner another step in the March planning, that Chris was
facilitating, was scheduled. The next step was *Visualizing What Could Be*.
 There were only 10-12 of us at the meeting.  I expected it to be a
workshop that the whole camp should participate in.  We reviewed the data
we had collected at the first meeting.  There was nothing printed out for
us to review.  There was a statement on the white board and then Chris
moved on to the next step. Once again it took longer than expected and
people found they had to leave.  It did not seem to me to be a productive
meeting so I left, prepared the solar trailer for the morning, and went to
bed.

*THU Jul 03*

Today we set off from Macklin Bay Park to Trinity Methodist Church in
Culbertson. This evening there is a Potluck dinner at the church, and
tomorrow we participate in the 4th of July Parade.  I couldn’t get my
computer to connect to the WiFi at the church.  I went to the Café on Hwy
34, next to the park, and it connected immediately without a password.  I
spent some time sending my journaling and ‘cleaning up’ my email.

When I got back to the church there was a meeting going on. It was an
attempt to share the discussion that John A and Jeffrey had with Ed. I was
not able to discern what the end result was. After the meeting I asked
Jerry, a member of the March city council, what the conclusion was and he
said he didn’t know!  I wonder if the original estimate on the amount of
money each participant should raise, $5,000, was inaccurate?  The best
information we can get from our bookkeeper is that the March will run out
of funds by the time we reach the demonstration against the Keystone
Pipeline, July 19, in NE.

The supper was a potluck in the church. We did a lot of cooking in the
church kitchen. The pastor’s wife brought meatballs and slices of steak.  The
pastor and his wife plus a local newspaper reporter were the only guests at
the meal.  Anna, the NE coordinator, led the mealtime conversation.  She
led us through a series of questions on how we can promote interfaith
awareness of the need for changing the way we’re using up the climate.  Once
again only 12 of the Marchers remained for the conversation.  Her last
question was meant for church members who were marchers: What can you do in
the next 3 months in your church/community?  If I’ll be on the March I
don’t have any way to answer that. I’ve referred my local congregation in
Carson City to Interfaith Power and Light and Lenten practices. Nothing
happened. Maybe they’re waiting for me to start the program.
--
Peace, David