[Oe List ...] Jaime for Monday

via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Fri Jul 4 22:19:30 PDT 2014

First of July

La Fete du Canadais the French phrase for Canada Day, First of July, when the color red thisyear streamed across the TV screens across Canada.  Being a full resident of China where the Eastremains Red, I was not prepared for the preponderance of Zhongguoren (Chinese) north of the 48th parallel inNorth America.  When I lived inSaskatchewan in the 70s, it was always a delight to stop by the localrestaurant ran by a Chinese family.  Thered of Canada and the red of China are obviously not the same, but the presenceof Chinese in the land of Truth North Strong and Free has become prominent inthis year’s celebration, judging from TV clips.

But first, in the official celebration of La Fete du Canadaaired from the Quad of the Parliament Hill in Ottawa, the first song sang thatgot the Governor General and everyone else on their feet was “God Save theQueen,” followed by “Oh, Canada”.  As a Commonwealth of the United Kingdom, Canada doesrecognize the Queen of England and the segment of the Canadian population thatwalks with a straight upper lip tend to mind their manners revering the aura ofKate and William when they visit the realm.

So, for Canada Day, I walked down 8th Ave indowntown Calgary last Tuesday from the Municipal building to the entrance ofStephen Ave Walk by Toronto Dominion (TD) square.   Like other festive occasions, the day has vendorslined up along the pedestrian-only avenue with tents and stalls selling food,handicrafts, and beverages even as entertainment is heard from neighboringparks; troubadours along the walk act their gig with open hats on the ground fordonations under the long yellow-red banners draped on the street lights for theoccasion.

I was told at Cole next to Brooks Brothers by TD Square thatthe establishment had to put notices of “for paying customers only” on thetables because Chinese workers would bring their food and occupy tables withoutbuying anything from the food stalls. There is a racist resistance to the rapid ascent of Asians, for whatused to be “Little Italy” north of the city has become an Asian enclave.  Unfortunately, as Asians seems to look alike,Vietnamese, Koreans, Japanese and anyone else from Central Asia and SoutheastAsia are dubbed “Chinese”!

The Mayor of Calgary is of South Indian descent named Nenji,a candidate to replace Rob Ford of Toronto is a Chow, and Chinatown by the Bowriver show magnificent structures and establishments trading not only Chinesegoods but also patrons to the Bank of China, not a mere hole-in-the-wall offshorefinancial service in the downtown area, so the tinge of jealousy on thingsChinese laces the perceived taint on a racial reputation.

The Imperial “God Save the Queen” has not been an ethos historicallyfriendly to the land of 56 ethnic groups of China though its influence on HongKong is considerable.   Thanks to thehandover in 1997, the human and money capital exited Victoria Island swiftlyand swelled the Chinatowns of the East Pacific Shores of the West Coast of NA,particularly Vancouver in BC.

“Oh, Canada,” billed as the “Truth North Strong and Free” onthis Canada Day had CTV launch a highly participatory definition of thecelebration’s theme by asking everyone, “What is Canada to you?”  Open, welcoming, and diverse, are themesrepeatedly uttered.  “Free/Libre” isemblazoned on the TV screen.

The Boys’ Choir of British Columbia led the Ottawa audiencein singing both songs.  The GovernorGeneral gave a very spirited rendition by looks though the audio was not tunedup.  And I sat as my brain cells shiftedto lyrics learned in the Prairies of the 70s:
I have welcomed the dawn fromthe fields of Saskatchewan
Followed the sun to theVancouver shore
Watched it climb shiny new upthe snow peaks of Caribou
Up to the clouds where thewild Rockies soar.

I remember leaving Saskatoon just about the time Neil Youngstarted humming his “Four strong winds” song, and on this the occasion of myfare-thee-well of North America, I was reminded once more:

Think I'll go out to Alberta,weather's good there in the fall
I got some friends that Icould go to working for
Still I wish you'd change yourmindif I asked you one more time
But we've been through this ahundred times or more.

One of my daughters was a Canadian for 18 years.  Born in Saskatoon, of the options for travelpapers from the US, Philippine, and Canada passports she was allowed to have,Canada’s was the cheapest.  Myperipatetic family presented a border-crossing challenge as spouse and daughter(born in Manila) crossed sovereign boundaries with United States’ passportswhile father and second daughter presented a Pea Eye and Canada passports.

Not a groupie for the defense of the original French O Canada, now, Oh, Canada in English, but being with Canucks in the rememberedland of Chinooks in Calgary this past week made me feel warmly welcomed homeonce more.

j'aime la vie
pinoypanda2031 at aol.com

yesterday, appreciate; tomorrow, anticipate; today. participate. In all, celebrate!