[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA June 30

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Fri Jul 4 15:58:20 PDT 2014

*MON Jun 30*

We woke up and started to prepare for the day in the dark.  After we
circled-up and the Marchers headed for the NE border, I spent some time
helping to get the campground cleaned up and packed up.  Then I headed for
the Nebraska border on my bike.  Once everyone arrived we passed through
the gateway, verbalized our intent for being on the March, and rehearsed
the journey we’ve been on and pointed west and shouted: California,
Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, and then we pointed east and shouted
Nebraska.  Our Colorado coordinator, Chris, is staying with us several
weeks.  I think he will coach our NE coordinator, Anna, who joined us at 10
last night.

Once we symbolized our crossing another border, I set off on my bike and
once again, I got to the campsite before anyone else.  I followed the
texted information, but John J. drove the gear truck 50 miles because he
got lost.  Later I told the NE coordinator, Anna, that there are some
requirements for the route publication:

1)  It makes no difference that the total miles are posted. None of the
Marchers wears an odometer.  And if you’re driving the Gear truck it
doesn’t help because the odometer reads in kilometers.

2)  The most objective piece of information is the Mile-marker. Post the
mile-marker readings so all can verify where they are and need to be.

3)  Put a yellow streamer on the turnoff point.

Before dinner we had a Transportation work-team meeting.  I attended but
have not been driving the truck(s) since Denver.  Sarah, the March
coordinator, requested that I continue to set-up and breakdown of the Solar
Trailer.  We had a smorgasbord dinner. The cooks had cooked beans, made
salad, and put out some donated pies—apple, cherry, pumpkin, cream cheese.
 About 15 minutes after dinner a local supporter arrived with some homemade
pizza, so I ate some more (no worries that we get enough to eat).

At the close of dinner it was announced that the walk would be 18 miles and
we would get up at 4 AM.  While we were finishing some local supporters
arrived and volunteered to take us to the nearby lake that is spring fed.
 Quite a few Marchers went to the lake.  I stayed at camp and helped get
ready for the morning: put the solar ovens back in the Gear truck and got
the Solar trailer ready for tomorrow’s trip.

--
Peace, David