[Oe List ...] Another Loss

Margaret Aiseayew AISEAYEW at NETINS.NET
Sun Feb 9 19:29:59 PST 2014

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to inform you of another loss to our community.  It may clearly
have participated in the strength of the dream I shared.

Esther Lyman of Lemmon, South Dakota, passed on January 19 at the age of 95.
She, along with her husband Tom who died some over ten years ago were great
guardians of our mission for many years.  Among other things, they lent our
task four of their children and they only had four.  Almost all of us know
one or more:  Helen Lyman Williams (in Toronto), George Lyman (Texas), Addie
Lyman Holm (South Dakota) and Susan Lyman Marley (who along with Darrell is
in Massachusetts).

As far back as the seventies when we didn't have the money we promised
ourselves to have to start new houses in Europe, the Lyman's gave us what
was needed to secure an apartment in Rome.  They were wise and only did it
when we all had jobs and enough money coming in to sustain ourselves, but no
prospects for a sufficient windfall that would pay our advance rent
guarantee.  Addie and Susan came to visit us in that apartment.  Tom and
Esther came to visit after we had already moved to Trastevere (remember that
was one of the original eight HDPs that we never did).

Probably any one of us in a house with one of the family has memories we
could share.  I know that they were a lifeline to Cannonball when a project
finally got that close to the family ranch in Lemmon.  Esther always joked
with me that she was glad that Esther was my daughter's name because the
pattern of naming children was such that she had feared the use of that name
might die with her.

I don't know what else to say except that it feels necessary to honor those
who year after year guarded our mission.  Nancy Trask was  interviewed on
Public Radio last week (as the town librarian) about one of the notables of
Winterset who was/is one of the characters in the new movie Monuments Men.
The interviewer asked her what was special about Winterset in that it had so
many notables (also home of John Wayne).  She said (loosely quoted)that
every community had heroes, lots of them.  We just didn't look for or pay
attention to their stories.

Thanks for that good word, Nancy.

Blessings to you all, Margaret