[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA Aug. 26

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Fri Aug 29 21:00:01 PDT 2014

*TUE AUG 26* *Davenport, IA to Hampton, IL*

It was an early morning—especially for Doug. Pat had said “Goodbye and Safe
Journey” the night before. We got to the Gear truck at LeClaire Park by
6:30am and loaded our gear. Doug stayed and socialized until 7am. His class
at the university begins today so he’s back to work. We were to March
across the Mississippi to the Quad City Botanical Center in Rock Island. We
marched across the footbridge, stopped at the center of the river,
rehearsed our journey through the states, said ‘Goodbye’ to Iowa, and
welcomed Illinois. The Botanical Center had a welcoming ceremony in their
hoop house auditorium. Toward the end of the ceremony there was lightening,
thunder, and 20 minutes of torrential rain. We were pleased that we were in
out of the rain.

The rain ceased and we set out on the March. Hampton was 11 miles east
along the bike trail bordering the Mississippi River. We camped in
Illiniwek Forest Preserve along the river. Dinner was a combination of
left-over meals from the Davenport/Rock Island rallies. After dinner some
of the Marchers taxied back to Davenport to attend a presentation Michael
Dowd was giving at the Unitarian Church. I have heard several of his
presentations—in Redlands, CA and Santa Fe, NM. I think he and Bishop Spong
should get together. Spong is more concerned about the history, and details
of theological perspective. Dowd relates the historical perspective to Care
for Mother Earth. We need both of them and it would be great for them to
collaborate. I didn’t go because I've heard him before. As I reflect I
realize that I should have gone and raised the question of collaboration
with Dowd.  JJ repeated his presentation on Climate Change for some of the
Marchers—especially those who joined in Davenport. Tomorrow is a 19.4 miles
walk so wake-up will be early. I spread my sleeping gear out on one of the
many tables under the amphitheater and went to sleep.
--
Peace, David