[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA August 21

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sun Aug 24 15:25:21 PDT 2014

*WED AUG 21* *Iowa City to West Branch—Scattergood Friends School , IA*

 It was not clear that we were to have breakfast and make our lunches at
our Home-stay. And I understood that we were to be at the gear truck by
6am. Mary and I arrived at 6am and there was no one there. I unlocked the
gear truck, removed my bike, and stored my overnight gear. I had removed
the backpack when I left the to be serviced so now I had time to mount it.
I thanked Mary again for her care and concern for me and this dear state of
Iowa.  People were still arriving at 7:30. I know my way around Iowa City
so I left for West Branch. Lin and I have visited the Herbert Hoover
Memorial and as a HS teacher I have visited Scattergood. The school had
hosted the Great Peace March in 1986 and was delighted to host us. Their
gymnasium was available for marchers to put their sleeping gear in the gym.

Luke had arranged for the Climate Justice Gypsy Band to do a recording in
Iowa City. JJ and I took the instruments and drove back to Iowa City. Once
we got in the parking garage I got a phone call from Luke that the
appointment had been canceled. So JJ and I returned to the school. There we
got a call from Luke that he had arranged to have a recording at the
school. So we went to the gym and set up. We did recording from 3pm to
4:45pm. This was the first we’d had to ‘worry’ about how we sounded. We
recorded a total of 3 numbers—over and over. The fellow recording said he
would be able to edit the recordings and send it to us over the Web. He’ll
send the file to Luke and we’ll find out how the music will be
distributed/publicized. I need to practice my bass parts more. My finger
calluses and muscles need to be strengthened. We don’t play often enough
for me to practice with ongoing music.

Scattergood School provided the evening dinner. In conversations at the
dinner table I was reminded about the school and its practices: it’s a
Boarding School so its practices are much different than a public school.
 Afterwards in the auditorium there was a movie about the Monarch
Butterfly.
--
Peace, David