[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA Aug 19-20

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sun Aug 24 15:20:49 PDT 2014

*TUE AUG 19* *Homestead to Coralville, IA*

 I got up early and cooked the rhubarb. By the end of breakfast it was all
gone. Several people commented on how good it was.   It was a 13-mile walk
to Coralville.  I am familiar with the route so I rode on to our meet-up
location, the Coralville Library. My computer logged into the library’s
system and I sent some of my journals. My home-stay host, Mary Mascher, a
State Legislator, contacted me by phone and confirmed a rendezvous at the
potluck at the library in the evening. I got the contact info for Dell
Holland, who agreed to service our bikes while in Iowa City. There was a
marvelous potluck at the Coralville Library that evening and at least 100
people attended. Dell was at the potluck and I arranged to drop my bike off
at his shop when Mary took me to her house. Mary has a hot tub and I used
it that evening. It was the first time I've taken a bath in a hot tub.

*WED AUG 20 **Iowa City*

Mary had a morning meeting and arranged for me to be picked up by one of
the Iowa City supporters. We went back to Coralville, had a burrito
breakfast, and marched 3 miles to the Peoples’ Mall in downtown Iowa City.
We arrived at 11am and had a rally with probably another 100 people. There
were a series of activities scheduled for the afternoon. One was with pizza
and a film about a group in Oregon that protested the Forest Service’s
cutting and burning a forest. They dug trenches through service roads, laid
down in front of vehicles and in management facilities. The protesters were
drug around, handcuffed, and arrested. But they finally got their forest
protected.

After that I went on a tour of a home that has turned its lawn into garden.
He has been able to start a trend in the neighborhood. The house across the
street has stopped mowing his lawn. Several near-by houses have started
gardens in their lawn. I commented that there needed to be a city ordinance
that required everyone to transform their lawn into garden!  The second
tour was to a Solar Farm. The host told us what it cost to get started, how
he is distributing the solar-generated electricity, and what the future
demands.

Then it was time for a potluck dinner at the Unitarian Church. Once again
the food was delicious, the crowd was enormous, and the presentations
inspiring.  After dinner there was an EPA meeting back at the Library. The
comments went on and on. While at the meeting I got a phone call from Dell
and was told that my bike was serviced and they were putting it in the gear
truck. Mary attended; we talked and decided to go home. As I was leaving I
saw someone whose face I recognized. I couldn’t remember his name, which is
nothing new! When I shook his hand he introduced himself as Bill Pusateri.
He and his wife had come to witness the EPA meeting and were also leaving.
He told me things I had forgotten: they live in Iowa City; he is the
facilitator for LHPS; and they are also colleagues of the Yeaneys.
Astounding that we met here! Bill informed me that they missed me at the
Prairie Seminar, and invited me to attend the 40th LHPS next year. It
brings me to tears when I recall this.
--
Peace, David