[Oe List ...] RS1 in Bonham, Texas - June 6-8

Ken Fisher hkf232 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 17:48:07 PST 2013

Spirit Colleagues,

I  am most pleased to share with you the forthcoming RS1 in Bonham, Texas.

For those of us who have spouses or colleagues who have 'never been' or for those of us who wish to be refreshed, here is the opportunity.

For a viable and flourishing humanity on planet Earth,

Ken

Announcement of the Realistic Living

June 6-9, 2013 Leadership Training School

And June 9-12, 2013 Research Symposium

This June we want to emphasize the theological foundations and pedagogical methods that inspired the creation of Realistic Living in 1984 and guided our work for the last 29 years.

In the 1960s the Order:Ecumenical, through its nonprofit organization The Ecumenical Institute, initiated a five-session weekend course entitled “Religious Studies One: The Twentieth Century Theological Revolution.”   Over the following two decades this course was taught to about 50,000 clergy and laity by over a 1000 trained teachers.

In the 1980s and 90s the staff of Realistic Living continued to hold updated versions of this course as well as write essays and books on the dynamics that made this course so effective.  A Primer on Radical Christianity (1985) was our first full-volume effort.   After 2000 we continued to update, expand, and research the sociological implications of this theological breakthrough including three more books: The Call of the Awe: Rediscovering Christian Profundity in an Interreligious Era (2003), Great Paragraphs of Protestant Theology: A commentary on the 20th Century Theological Revolution and its Implications for the 21st Century (2005), and Jacob’s Dream: A Christian Inquiry into Spirit Realization (2008).  Our annual Leadership Training Schools and other courses have also continued to work with the content and implications of this theology.

In our Leadership Training School this summer we are going to revisit the original five-session dynamics of the RS-1 course, filling in its history and anticipating its future as a guide for the Christian reconstruction we are aiding. This should give us an opportunity to reflect on how to freight the power of RS-1 as we continue forward.

Attached is a chart of the schedule for the June Leadership Training School providing an overview of how we will proceed.  The four talks on Friday and Saturday will be updated versions of the RS-1 talks, pulling on Joyce’s and Gene’s many years of teaching these dynamics.  The study sessions that will follow the talks will focus on five chapters from Great Paragraphs of Protestant Theology.  Attendees will be asked to read these brief chapters before coming to the Training School (These readings are available in both hard copy and e-downloads.)  We will also provide the five traditional papers.

Also attached is a chart of the proposed schedule for the June Research Symposium. The specific research agenda will be decided by the attendees, and the overall nurture structures are in line with those customarily used for these meetings.

These meetings will be held in Bonham, Texas, partly in the Marshalls’ home and nearby Guest House and partly in other Bonham locations.  Attendees of the Training School need to arrive in time to eat and show up for a 7:00pm opening on Thursday June 6th.  Count on a 2-hour drive from the DFW International Airport.  The closing time on Wednesday the 12th is 1:00pm.  Similar times apply to those arriving or leaving on Sunday.  More explicit details will be shared as we get closer to the meetings.  Please put these dates on your calendar, choose soon whether you can come, make your travel arrangements, and let us know.

For a vital resurgence of Christian practice,

Joyce, Gene, and Alan
staff of Realistic Living