[Oe List ...] Peter Adams Whitney

PSchrijnen at aol.com PSchrijnen at aol.com
Tue Jun 11 02:44:56 PDT 2013

Thanks so much Marilyn,

for being there to represent all of us.

>From the service sheet you include I note that it must have  been an
awesome and sad celebration, filled with tears and laughter, life and
death.

Grace and peace indeed,

Paul

Paul Schrijnen
13 Bloemfontein Avenue
London W12 7BJ
+44  7973 206 766
skype: paulus.schrijnen

marilyncrocker at juno.com writes:

Dear OE  Colleagues of all generations,
Joe and I  have just returned from attending the glorious celebration of
the completed  life of Peter Adams Whitney.  The service was held on Saturday,
June 8,  2013 at Burke Mountain Academy in East Burke, VT, longtime home of
Peter, his  wife Carol, and daughters Maya and Joleil.
Joining  Anna and Dick Stanley, and of course Ken and Clare Whitney, Joe
and I  represented the OE “first generation.”  I would like to offer this as
an  initial reflection, trusting that members of our “second generation”
will have  much more to share with video and digital photos documenting this
amazing  event.
We didn’t  know Peter as well as we had, in the past, many of his close OE
contemporaries  who were participants in the celebration – Keith Boivin,
Nancy Griffin, Brad  Grow, Brenda Johnson, Andy St. Clair, Denise and Rick
Stanley and Pete’s bro,  Mark.  But yes, we came to know him more recently --
probably lots  through his parents Ken and Clare, dear friends since the early
days of the  Movement in New England, who, more recently, often stayed with
us in ME en  route to their regular visits to East Burke, VT.
Nevertheless, I’m guessing all of  the 300 or so people gathered at Burke
Mountain Academy, like us, learned much  more about this unique and
unrepeatable bundle of energy, love, commitment,  passion and care that is Peter
Adams Whitney’s continuing gift to life  itself.  As affirmed by those who
eloquently offered words of remembrance  in the service, Peter’s legacy lives on
in the powerful, positive influence of  his life on everyone in attendance.

We learned  Peter’s legacy is one that speaks on behalf of justice and
civic  responsibility in the community, especially in support of ethical
practices in  the public sector workplace; that advocates for and leads the
authentic,  creative engagement of youth in sports, arts, drama; that adamantly
insists  upon consistent loving relationships with family and friends; that
rejoices in  the beauty of the natural world and urges living gently on planet
earth; and  that invites profound enjoyment of LIFE itself, just as it  is.
I am  attaching a part of the celebration program – the liturgy Peter
Whitney and  his childhood friend Peter Johnston, liturgist for the service,
created  together.
May we all  give thanks for this well-lived life – Alleluia, alleluia,
Amen!!
Grace and  peace,
Marilyn
Marilyn R. Crocker,  Ed.D