[Oe List ...] In Celebration of the Life of Peter Adams Whitney 6.8.2013

Marilyn Crocker marilyncrocker at juno.com
Mon Jun 10 20:03:53 PDT 2013

Dear OE Colleagues of all generations,

Joe and I have just returned from attending the glorious celebration of the
completed life of Peter Adams Whitney.  The service was held on Saturday,
June 8, 2013 at Burke Mountain Academy in East Burke, VT, longtime home of
Peter, his wife Carol, and daughters Maya and Joleil.

Joining Anna and Dick Stanley, and of course Ken and Clare Whitney, Joe and
I represented the OE "first generation."  I would like to offer this as an
initial reflection, trusting that members of our "second generation" will
have much more to share with video and digital photos documenting this
amazing event.

We didn't know Peter as well as we had, in the past, many of his close OE
contemporaries who were participants in the celebration - Keith Boivin,
Nancy Griffin, Brad Grow, Brenda Johnson, Andy St. Clair, Denise and Rick
Stanley and Pete's bro, Mark.  But yes, we came to know him more recently --
probably lots through his parents Ken and Clare, dear friends since the
early days of the Movement in New England, who, more recently, often stayed
with us in ME en route to their regular visits to East Burke, VT.

Nevertheless, I'm guessing all of the 300 or so people gathered at Burke
Mountain Academy, like us, learned much more about this unique and
unrepeatable bundle of energy, love, commitment, passion and care that is
Peter Adams Whitney's continuing gift to life itself.  As affirmed by those
who eloquently offered words of remembrance in the service, Peter's legacy
lives on in the powerful, positive influence of his life on everyone in
attendance.

We learned Peter's legacy is one that speaks on behalf of justice and civic
responsibility in the community, especially in support of ethical practices
in the public sector workplace; that advocates for and leads the authentic,
creative engagement of youth in sports, arts, drama; that adamantly insists
upon consistent loving relationships with family and friends; that rejoices
in the beauty of the natural world and urges living gently on planet earth;
and that invites profound enjoyment of LIFE itself, just as it is.

I am attaching a part of the celebration program - the liturgy Peter Whitney
and his childhood friend Peter Johnston, liturgist for the service, created
together.

May we all give thanks for this well-lived life - Alleluia, alleluia, Amen!!

Grace and peace,

Marilyn

Marilyn R. Crocker, Ed.D

123 Sanborn Rd