[Oe List ...] Ruth Carter -- Iron Woman

Karenbueno karenbueno at aol.com
Wed Jul 31 07:38:58 PDT 2013

Regarding the question below, "was the curriculum which was developed in 5th City the foundation for what later became known as Imaginal Education?", here is my opinion on the subject.  Imaginal Education was the basis for the 5th City curriculum, not the other way around.

I joined the staff of the 5th City Preschool in the last weeks of 1969, and the curriculum was in full swing.  Our basic understanding was that we were out to change the images of the children we taught, from victims of their circumstances to "iron men", able to make free decisions based on compassion and a bright future.

I had a break from preschool on another assignment from Sept. 1970 through Dec. 1970.  During 1971 I was assigned to expand the daily preschool curriculum with appropriate activities to enact our three year goal chart, type it up, mimeograph it (for pete's sake) and see that it was delivered to each teacher each morning along with needed supplies to teach to the day's rational and existential aims.

I once has a full quarter of those daily curriculum sheets in my own files, but I have lost track of them.  I fervently hope that they are in the archives.  We shared our work with our sister preschool in Hong Kong, where they followed the same curriculum.  I hope that the three year chart of goals is also in existence in the archives, as well as the Tools Chart.

But, as a short answer to the question, the basic tenents of Imaginal Education were in place before the teaching in the preschool.  We were creating curriculum out of the structure which had been put in place by the leaders of the Ecumenical Institute--the Order Ecumenical.  I was not there, but I presume that was between the creation of the Faith and Life Community and our full engagement in creating the preschool program.  Maybe the date was 1967 or 1968?  Those who know, please confirm.

Karen (Wright) Bueno