[Oe List ...] Completed Life of Ruth Carter

Jean Long jean.long512 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 08:27:12 PDT 2013

Dear colleagues -
Working with the archives - and the living stories that have been shared
with us - have made us (the archive team and volunteers) aware of the gift
to the nation that Ruth Carter and the imaginal education approach to
teaching used in the 5th City Preschool came about.

Ruth and another preschool teacher were invited by the team that was
putting together Sesame Street to come to New York and share with them the
imaginal education curriculum being used in the successful Fifth City
Preschool.

Why?  Apparently the Preschool had been named one of the top two preschools
in the nation.  Sargent Shriver had visited the preschool and said that the
curriculum made it number 1 - but the facilities required he name it number
2.

We have also heard that there was an article - and picture - in a Time
magazine talking about the 5th City preschool - and that is why the Sesame
Street planning crew asked Ruth  and  colleague to come to New York and
talk to them.

...and that one bright shining moment pales in the face of the additional
50+ years that she gave caring for and nurturing the teachers and students
of the 5th City Preschool.

God bless you, Ruth.

Jean Long
Kemper Building