[Oe List ...] Jr. Olympics National Track and Field in Greensboro, NC- Local Boy in Finals

Lynda Cock llc860 at triad.rr.com
Sat Jul 27 14:17:38 PDT 2013

Dear Colleagues,  Warning, this is a grandma brag.  Delete if in a hurry.

 I'm slowly making progress after a ruptured disc July 1.  Jono and Kelley
and family (4) were thru this afternoon to check on me and we did an early
celebration of Jono's 46th birthday since I won't be cleared to travel until
after his real birthday Aug. 4, and then short distances for a while.
Jeremiah and Nolan also came over.  We all look like the Hop-a-Long Cassidy
family.  Me with a cane, having graduated from a walker and  John with a
strained back; Jeremiah on crutches, and Nolan (who was on crutches 2 months
ago with a broken bone in his foot) sporting  the big scraps above his ankle
sustained in Thurs.'s Steeple Chase in the Jr. Olympics.  Jeremiah injured
his knee while on a Father-Son retreat with Nolan this past weekend..  He's
had X-rays, but still not sure where the problem is, so he had MRI today
before coming over.

We are all so excited about Nolan's participation in the National  Jr.
Olympics.  In Thurs. morning's preliminaries, he came in 2nd in his heat for
the 1500m race which qualifies him to run in Sunday's finals for the
National Jr. Olympics championships.  There are over 8000 young people from
around the US ages 8-18 participating right here in Greensboro at beautiful
A&T stadium.

Since we couldn't attend, we were delighted to find that the events are
being Live Streamed free at  <blocked::http://www.usatf.tv/> www.usatf.tv.
His 1500m event against 12 other qualifiers will be around 2:30 EST on
Sunday afternoon.  He says that his injury was just a deep scrape and is
healing nicely,  (Thankfully young people heal so fast!) and he is cool
about his participation tomorrow.

If anyone is interested in watching, once you get on the Jr. Olympics USA
Track and Field  page, look for LIVE in big letters in the banner. Be sure
to get the Jr. Olympics and not the Thorpe Cup.  Look on the side bar for
his impressive 2nd place win Thurs at some time if you wish.  He is in 1500m
Boys 15-16 Heat 3.
In the finals tomorrow, there will only be one event, so it will be quick.
He goes by Nolan Cook and is in the neon green jersey in Thurs. event.  Who
knows what his jersey will be tomorrow.  Maybe it's a uniform and he will be
in it again.

Is this a proud grandma or what?  Greensboro has lots of history with our
movement and with several colleagues.  Many of you have known Nolan's
father, Jeremiah, as a young boy.   We salute the discipline, skill and
determination of this caring young man.

Lynda Cock (and John)