[Oe List ...] Salmon: Response to Del

David Walters walters at alaweb.com
Tue Jan 8 19:06:18 PST 2013

We may not be able to outlaw guns, but we could outlaw the magazines that are used in assault  guns. We could also urge the adoption of laws concerning the sale of ammunition: the size and types of ammunition, how much can be purchased in certaind time frame, and limits who can not purchase. Neither of thesae would be in conflict with the 2nd amendment.

-David Walters

--- jackcgilles at gmail.com wrote:

Del,

I second Randy's suggestion on Meg's book. I'm about half way through it and it is terrific. I feel everyone needs to read it. $9.99 Kindle edition.

My own suggestion for a law on the assault rifles would be to make them illegal, but since it would be extremely hard to confiscate those already owned, I would have them have to be stored at a licensed gun range (people do enjoy shooting them for some perverse reasons) and anyone caught shooting "in the woods" or a place other than a licensed range would loose the weapon and pay a big fine.  That way they are not confiscated from citizens, but their use is tightly controlled.

Jack