[Oe List ...] Madiba for Tuesday

wangzhimu2031 at aol.com wangzhimu2031 at aol.com
Sun Dec 8 20:47:24 PST 2013

I decided to think Madiba this week.  Here's Tuesday's reflection that will be in the Saipan Tribune.

Jaime

Madiba of the Ages

Gandhi,Churchill, King and Mandela all stood in that "yes" place to dare todeclare their hope, their dream, their confidence in the midst of “facts” thatwere telling them all was lost. Their presence of active hope made all thedifference and the “impossible” happened. Thus, wrote elderly colleague Jeannette Stanfield in Canada on her NovemberThanksgiving note.

Commenting on aPaul Gilding book, The Great Disruption, sheadded: Now it is our turn to “choose active, engaged and strategic hope”.  Human beings across the planet who are clearon our devastating situation must move through their despair and “roll up theirsleeves.”  For we who are teachers,facilitators and preachers, we must continue to empower and grow resilienceacross all sections of humanity in order that as we face more and more chaotictimes, we will together be able to engender hope filled action and compassioninstead of fear and violence.

She iscommenting on two disruptions observed by analysts chronicled in Gilding's book:climate change and the end of the economic growth model dear to economicplanners of  contemporary global society.

With mostanalytical bent headed straight into doomsday, it is heartening to hear andread of those who have the courage to say, "nevertheless".  From many commentators this week, we willhear that word in describing one who is now known as a strategic prophet ofreconciliation and a walking evangelist of forgiveness, a hero in BillClinton's eyes.

The Madiba'smuch-quoted pronouncement against poverty is once again getting anotherdrumming and drubbing.  He said, “Overcoming poverty is not a task of charity, it is anact of justice. Like Slavery and Apartheid, poverty is not natural. It isman-made and it can be overcome and eradicated by the actions of human beings.Sometimes it falls on a generation to be great. YOU can be that greatgeneration. Let your greatness blossom.”
.
.           Notfor generational greatness, but Paul Clements, Dallas-born six years before wehit that town when we attended university, son of missionaries who served inIndia and Hong Kong, colleagues in a worldwide effort to further a comprehensiveyet profound spirit movement on human development, is now running for the 6thdistrict of Michigan's representative to the US Congress.  He was active in the divestiture movement atHarvard when he joined to protest the University's corporate funds from earningprofits in apartheid South Africa.  Paulserved in the US Peace Corps in Gambia in the late 80s.  The Princeton PhD lad teaches at one of theState's universities.
.
.           Mandela'sclaim to fame is not of his quotable quotes. Much quoted as he is, none of his lines act as leech in the mind thatattaches itself to suck the blood out of one's passion, never again to beforgotten.  Not his words but the incrediblewitness of his being that endears him to many of his global followers.  All one has to do is watch the man in action,whether on stage or in office, and one can easily gets mesmerized by a self soseemingly devoid of aggrandizement, yet so marvelously over brimming withselfhood, and then, not calling attention to himself, invites each of us in hisquiet ways to be likewise.
.
.           Theforgiving applies as well to ex-VP Dick Cheney, the power behind the swivel chairwhile George Bush the younger sat in the White House's Oval office.  He was unrepentant in his vote to clear theANC as a terrorist organization in the US Congress.  In fact, Mandela remained in the US terroristlist until 2008, to Condoleezza Rice's great consternation.
.
.           Wewill say the "nevertheless" word to radio commentator Rush Limbaugh'sharangue on the White House as using Mandela's demise to prop-up Obama, and hisvenom against the Clintons, accusing the couple of being opportunisticpolitical riders on the tailcoat of Mandela's greatness.  We will even go so far as to forgive membersof the Westboro Baptist Church of Kansas for tweeting that they are preparingto fly to South Africa to picket Mandela's state funeral!
.
.           Towhat length does one go to forgive?  Inthe case of the Nobel Laureate Xhosa regal tribesman, it seems endless, makingObama's tribute appropriate: he belongs to the Ages.  For the act of pronouncing"nevertheless" and acting it to the fullest in one's being, is notnatural.  It is an act of faith, livedthrough the crimson line of humanity's varied religious traditions of takingreality as one's own, and giving it the characteristic stamp of one's ownbeing!
.
.           InMandela's case, it was a walk out of prison, in his reference to more than the27 years spent behind Robben Island, Pollsmor and Victor Verster prison's ironbars: “As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom,I knew if I didn’t leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I’d still be inprison.”
.
.           Addthe humor of a Tata (the honorific title for 'father' in the Transvaal as wellas in Malayo-Polynesia familiar to Pinoys), the father of the reformed nationof South Africa quipped: "In my country we go to prison first and thenbecome President."
.
.           TheRock of Ages lie in state this week.

Jaime Vergara
pinoypanda2031 at aol.com

yesterday, appreciate; tomorrow, anticipate; today. participate. In all, celebrate!