[Oe List ...] Memories of Uptown

LAURELCG at aol.com LAURELCG at aol.com
Thu Dec 5 11:17:34 PST 2013

I remember staying up all night loading rented trucks to go from 5th City
to Uptown. Others stayed up all night in Uptown, unloading the trucks. I'm
not  sure this is true, but it seems some people who had been staying in the
Kemper building were moving back to 5th City. So, in my memory, there's the
 absurdity of loading and unloading everyone's board-and-brick  bookshelves
and books going both ways. Many of the books in everyone's boxes  were the
same titles.

Kindle was 35 years too late.

I was on the Emerging Generation team with Alice Baumbach, Wayne Nelson and
 Catherine Whitney until after Summer '73, when I went with the children to
 Geneva Crossroads camp. I don't remember E.G. structures in Kemper, so  I
think the move must have been June, after school was out and before  we went
to camp. Does that sound right?

Living in Kemper in those days was quite an experience. Fred and  I had a
small room on 5th floor with three glass walls. The fourth wall,  with a
window, looked out to Lawrence. Our corner bed was a futon  that I made from
foam rubber, that went on top of desks. We used the  desk drawers that faced
outward as storage, as well as a file cabinet  and metal book shelf  with the
middle shelves replaced with a closet  rod.

Patrick and Barry slept in a dorm situation down the hall. Suzanne and
Scott were assigned to Milwaukee and Madison.

In fall, '73 I was assigned to the kitchen/housekeeping team with Judy
Radke and Maxine Manning, who was our prior. The kitchen, with no  walk-in
refrigerator, was woefully inadequate to feed the number of people we  had
(500?) three times a day, not to mention the quarterly prior gatherings. We
designed, and I made, ruffly aprons which we donned like armor over our order
blue polyester, but they didn't work to keep Maxine and  Judy from getting
hepatitis, leaving me alone to cope with meal  planning, ordering the food and
keeping the 50 cents-per-meal budget. Or  was it per day? Whatever it was,
we really needed the in-kind food I  begged at the produce truck docks once
a week. I confess  I sometimes dreamed of getting hepatitis myself.

Fred Buss gave a hilarious lecture to all residents on basic  sanitation to
avoid contracting the disease. Whose idea was it to have the  kitchen team
also clean the bathrooms?

One morning I eavesdropped on the conversation of two homeless men taking
shelter in the Lawrence entry. We used the hallway between that door and the
 back elevator for storage, and I went there to get something that was on
the  menu.

"It was cold last night."

"You can't sleep on the streets of Chicago any month of the year without
getting cold."

Fred McGuire was on the development team, gone most of the  time. That was
the grumpiest year of my life. I acted out in numerous ways. If I  was
unkind to anyone reading this, I'm truly sorry. But the grits  were not my fault.

Jann McGuire

In a message dated 12/5/2013 8:23:47 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,