[Oe List ...] Salmon: Reply to Holcombe

William Salmon wsalmon at cox.net
Tue Apr 23 19:25:38 PDT 2013

George--
    Thanks for the recommendation of Houle's book on, The Shift Age. Last fall, I  wrote a short paper for the Educational Cooperative that hires me as a Para-Educator in a local high school. The title is, "The Collapse of the Modern Era and the birth of the Intuitive Generation." It has been well received locally.
    Our school system is doing a Future Directions study under a professional company that also gives support on creating public support ad commitment--something I should be doing for them if I was 20 years younger. Their missing link concerns Underlying Contradictions.**
    They produced a preliminary document of 7 new directions asking for public input and ranking. I'm doing a local school survey using this input to pull through the 9 Whistle Points. From a practical point of view, this document relates better as a postmodern effort than the Soc. Proc. triangles.
    As a comparison, I'm using two other publications that are doing postmodern analysis. These are the 10 principles of "Burning Man" (thanks to Richard Alton), and the 10 foundations "Appreciative Inquiry," the work of the Alban Institute.
    The one-page chart is, "The Way To Rebuild Global Society: The 9 Whistle-Points." It lists the 9 points across the top and that answers the questions of What, Where, Why, Who, How and When.
    It amazes me how our work since the late 1950's continues to inform my own thinking and gives shape to my three books as well as the next 5 books ready to be edited. However, in order to get that done, I've got to stop writing papers and emails.
    For what it is worth.
    Bill
** Recently, I conducted three Future Direction Workshops and one Implementation Workshop using Contradiction Analysis. Whenever I've used this concept, people always find it affirmative. So often this is the absent--but crucial--step in planning.
    Inner Peace,
    wes