[Oe List ...] [Dialogue] The old Order passing away

Ruth Landmann tddynewf at cruzio.com
Thu Sep 27 15:21:09 PDT 2012

At 8:46 AM -0400 9/27/12, LAURELCG at aol.com wrote:

>In the San Francisco House, 1970-71, Ellery acquired some bamboo
>poles and taught the kids a Philippino game kind of like jump rope,
>but jumping between the poles as they were clapped together in
>rhythm. She was very good at it.
>
>I believe she and her parents didn't get  evacuated for 2 or 3 years
>after the war broke out. They were hidden from the occupying
>Japanese army by local folks in the crawl space under the house
>until smuggled out on a submarine and taken to Ayers Rock (?) in
>Australia. Maybe Jon can elaborate. I believe her father wrote a
>book about it.
>
>I feel privileged to have been acquainted with these two heroines.
>
>Jann McGuire

Jann, thank you for reminding me where I first met Ellery and Tony,
is was in the San Francisco House! I drove up there almost weekly for
meetings of various kinds. One night I was so exhausted from long
days of teaching and driving to the S.F. House so often, I nearly
drove off Highway 280! (I also almost fell asleep reading a book to
my 5th graders--not cool!)

I remember when Ellery and Tony came to Kemper, but I have no idea
what year that was.
Ruth Landmann