[Oe List ...] Mulling over current chaos

Ellie Stock elliestock at aol.com
Mon Sep 17 13:45:35 PDT 2012

Thanks for your reflection, Del.
Ellie

-----Original Message-----
From: Del Morril <delhmor at wamail.net>
To: Del Morril <delhmor at wamail.net>
Sent: Sat, Sep 15, 2012 4:37 pm
Subject: [Oe List ...] Mulling over current chaos

Dear family andfriends,
Have been mullingover recent events:

 “They will hand you over to be tortured and will putyou to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of my name.”(Jesus)
Thishas proved to be true – Jesus and many of his followers went to theirdeaths because of their beliefs.  It amazes me the tremendous sacrifice manyhave been called to make as martyrs to their causes – Jesus and hisdisciples, MLK, Jr. and all those who preceded him in the Civil Rightsmovement, Gandhi and all those who chose to follow into the sticks and stonesof those who didn’t agree in nationalizing India, and all the otherincredibly brave souls in history who held their beliefs so strongly that theyfaced death daily.  They knew each day could be their last, yet moved forwardand let others follow; doing the same because they truly believed that actwould build a better world for others.
Mostof us spend our lives making the world better for us!  That certainly includesme.  Is it any wonder that so many who think they can follow such brave leadersgive up – they get scared (understandably – I certainly would undersustained assault), or they become convinced the cause isn’t as importantas they first thought, or they get upset with a colleague who uses the causefor their own gain, or for who knows how many other reasons.
Imay be appalled by the terrorist of our day who strap their bombs tothemselves, yet I have to admire such amazing dedication – that and theother “kamikazes” of the world who believe in something so fully(rightly or wrongly from our point of view) that they are willing to give uptheir most precious gift – their own lives for that cause.  My daringacts have been very sudden and brief, and may have made a difference to onlyone person at any one time. I’m too much of a coward to every go anyfarther than that!
Todaythe news is filled with hatred toward America – so what else is new?  Iam in awe over those who choose to take on assignments in such areas of theworld where their lives are constantly unsafe, to say the least. Locally, Icontinue to be in awe of police and fire workers for the same reason.  They don’tdo this for themselves, or they would find safer ways to work.  They do thisfor their society’s safety and betterment.
Today,I am especially grateful for this.

Withcontinued affection and friendship,
Del