[Oe List ...] Hmm, wonder if this happened in WWII?

James Wiegel jfwiegel at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 21 13:01:20 PST 2012

POSTTRAUMATIC GROWTH: A Brief Overview

                          What is posttraumatic growth? It is
                          positive change experienced as a result of the struggle
                          with a major life crisis or a traumatic event. Although
                          we coined the term posttraumatic growth, the
                          idea that human beings can be changed by their encounters
                          with life challenges, sometimes in radically positive
                          ways, is not new. The theme is present in ancient spiritual
                          and religious traditions, literature, and philosophy.
                          What is reasonably new is the systematic study
                          of this phenomenon by psychologists, social workers,
                          counselors, and scholars in other traditions of clinical
                          practice and scientific investigation.
                        What forms does posttraumatic growth take?
                          Posttraumatic growth tends to occur in five
                          general areas. Sometimes people who must face major
                          life crises develop a sense that new opportunities have
                          emerged from the struggle, opening up possibilities
                          that were not present before. A second area is a change
                          in relationships with others. Some people experience
                          closer relationships with some specific people, and
                          they can also experience an increased sense of connection
                          to others who suffer. A third area of possible change
                          is an increased sense of one’s own strength – “if
                          I lived through that, I can face anything”. A fourth
                          aspect of posttraumatic growth experienced by some people
                          is a greater appreciation for life in general. The fifth
                          area involves the spiritual or religious domain. Some
                          individuals experience a deepening of their spiritual
                          lives, however, this deepening can also involve
                          a significant change in one’s belief system.

                          Some Clarifications
                        Most of us, when we face very difficult losses or great
                          suffering, will have a variety of highly distressing
                          psychological reactions. Just because individuals
                          experience growth does not mean that they will
                          not suffer. Distress is typical when we face
                          traumatic events.
                        We most definitely are not implying
                          that traumatic events are good – they are not.
                          But for many of us, life crises are inevitable and we
                          are not given the choice between suffering and growth
                          on the one hand, and no suffering and no change, on
                          the other.
                        Posttraumatic growth is not universal.
                          It is not uncommon, but neither does everybody who faces
                          a traumatic event experience growth.
                        Our hope is that you never face a major loss
                          or crisis, but most of us eventually do, and
                          perhaps you may also experience an encounter with posttraumatic
                          growth.

Jim Wiegel

"Life has got a habit of not standing hitched.  You got to ride it like you find it..  You got to change with it."  Woody Guthrie

401 North Beverly Way, Tolleson, Arizona 85353-2401

+1  623-363-3277  skype:  jfredwiegel

jfwiegel at yahoo.com   www.partnersinparticipation.com

Upcoming public course opportunities:

ToP  Facilitation Methods  Coming in February.  Ask about an inhouse course

ToP Strategic Planning,    Oct 9-10, 2012

The AZ Community of Practice meets the 1st Friday of every month

Facilitation Mastery : Our Mastering the Technology of Participation program is available in Phoenix in 2012-3.  Program begins on Nov 14-16, 2012

See short video http://partnersinparticipation.com/?page_id=55 and website for further details.