[Oe List ...] Fwd: Re: Death of Robert Shropshire

Evelyn Philbrook joyful at icatw.com
Thu May 31 01:51:23 PDT 2012

Robert Shropshire taught my academy and made me laugh and he made me
think about racism, reverse racism, what blocks each of us from being
our potential is just a story, which we can change, simple as that.
(Then he got angry about getting married and he did a collegium which
just blew everyone away.)

He was also a facilitator for the Gibson Human Development Project
Consult in Gibson, North Carolina. I remember when he said he had never
seen a Southern town like Gibson before. He kept singing this song about
the company store under his breath. Those of us who were there knew what
he meant. And then he turned around and said that as a Black African
American man his role was about healing -  accountability, absolution
and healing. Then he went and did the Contradiction workshop. It was
painful.

He held everyone accountable, white, black, American Indians,
everyone.Then he said it was time for forgiveness. The room was silent.
Everyone looked at the white Mayor, who ran the company store. Then it
was like a revival. Amen, Amen, Amens were said all around, started
first by the Black reverends, and the black school principal, then
everyone....  (Or at least that is how I remember it.)

Later,  he said, may be he would go to hell for this, but that is what
he needed to do. Amen to men of courage like Robert Shropshire. Sing the
Gibson Town Song under your breath and then Amazing Grace.

His mother is named Evelyn and his daughter is named Evelyn...I never
met anyone besides Bob who knew another Evelyn. I am so sorry to hear of
his death. I somehow feel he is some where laughing with the Mystery
expecting great things from us all to carry out God's unfinished work.

My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends and colleagues who
lived, and worked with Robert Shropshire, a very courageous man indeed.

Evelyn Kurihara Philbrook.