[Oe List ...] The Roman Catholic Church, the Old Catholic movement, and our common memory

Rod Rippel rodrippel at cox.net
Thu May 3 08:59:47 PDT 2012

Benedict is circling the wagons.  First, the Vatican is hoping the priesthood sexual predator crisis will “just go away,” instead of dealing with it effectively.  The recent Austrian Preachers initiative for attacking the shortage of priests by admitting women, allowing married clergy, etc., drew his outspoken anger.  Orders of nuns are rebuked for their efforts to help the poor and solve social injustice instead of focusing on abortion and contraception issues.  Now Caritas is experiencing new restraints and petty controls.  Vatican II is a dim memory.  The college of Cardinals is ‘stacked’ with ultra conservatives in the Ratzinger image.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Pope is preparing an Encyclical to cap his papacy and insure reactionary steps are imbedded in Catholic institutions.

“The Catholic church is an Anvil that has broken many a Hammer.”

Change doesn’t come easy to the RC church.  If you assume a “normal cycle” of change in corporate human affairs as something like: A movemental dynamic precedes institutional formation or change; normal institutions don’t preclude dissent, dissent pushes for renewal; renewal and change meets with resistance; and real change occurs slowly or not at all.  For example, the Reformation took 300 years, Vatican II petered out in 50.  Outside of Revolution institutions don’t change fast.  We were naive to imagine the renewal of the institutional church would take 40 years.
Rod Rippel