[Oe List ...] Sheldon's Gifts

Paula Philbrook paula.philbrook at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 12:51:47 PDT 2012

Betty & Family
I was assigned to help prepare "EI's" exhibit for the World Council of Church's meeting in Detroit during the fall of 1969.  Shel opened his office to our team at night so we could build his design. We were usually greeted with him laying out the work for the night then off he went on home.  We would work until daybreak but we had to be back for daily office on the west side.  He had drawn the design but it was not until we were in Detroit at the Conference setting it up that I saw it.  It was a beautiful spire rising up from the floor at least 50 feet signaling the resurrection of the church in service.  It was magnificent!  Thanks Sheldon for creating art to represent our vision!

Almost twenty years later, I had another chance to work with Sheldon. This time it was all about practical building projects.  How do we automate the elevators and preserve the brass doors?  What can we do about windows that are 40 feet by 23 feet? He always willing to look at all the options and consider multiple solutions. Thanks Sheldon for making it possible for the 4750 building to continue to serve the community.

Journey on, Journey on, Thank you.
Paula
Sent from my iPad