[Oe List ...] Fw: Colorado Wildfires

Del Morril delhmor at wamail.net
Tue Jul 3 15:03:10 PDT 2012

With what's going on now with the dire weather some are experiencing in the
USA, it seems timely to send this on.

Del

I am sending photos and comments on the fire near Colorado Springs from a
friend who got the photos from another friend. I've removed their emails and
names. The photos are frightening. We flew into Denver today near Fort
Collins and that fire, which is not in the photos below, can be seen from
the air, and smoke hangs in the air there and in Denver. Let's all hope for
rain for Colorado asap and that these fires are under control soon.

E-mail received:

A friend of ours sent these to us. I would guess that they were shot on
Tuesday night when all hell broke loose on the foothills in Colorado
Springs. There is no accurate count yet but it's estimated that there were
over 300 homes that were lost and when you review the pictures, you'll see
why. The forest is just like gasoline. Nothing can stop the monster,
although winds have slowed today and the temperatures are little cooler. The
danger today seems to be in the northwest quadrant of the fire which is
burning towards Woodland Park, a mountain community.

Things have gotten a bit better since these were taken, but you can see the
extent of damage in just this one fire. We have close to 8 like this burning
now. They think some were started by arsonists. This one they think was a
lightening strike, as most have been.

Waldo Canyon Fire (Colorado Springs).  That's the Air Force Academy in the
foreground.  (It's evacuated now.  32,000 people in the area have been
evacuated.)  Several consecutive days of 105-degree heat, low humidity and
high winds.

Denver under the smoke cloud from the Flagstaff Fire near Boulder:

Flagstaff Fire as seen from Longmont:

And none of these photos are of the 90,000-acre High Park Fire near Fort
Collins or any other dozen other major fires in our state.  Pray for
everyone who's affected by them.

(JX2601ID: [21624])