[Oe List ...] [Dialogue] What is the right question these days?

Ken Gillgren kgillgren at igc.org
Mon Jul 2 13:48:42 PDT 2012

Wow, this has been an incredible conversation, with echoes that reach
back to my First Great Awakening, when three questions were posed: Who
am I? What do I? How be I? followed by intensive, continuous
bottom-dropping-out experiences that made what I thought was my concrete
life question at the time (conscientious objection or ministerial
vocation) seem, if not trivial, then a little beside the point of a
deeper issue.

And somehow I ended up in the Order during that odd, in-between moment
when the Quest for the Historical Jesus, Luke and Psalm conversations,
scrubbing grave plots, The Way of the Pilgrim, The Journey to the East
(dang, I knew I shouldn't have given up on playing the violin!), fasting
and canonical hours (I was Methodist, for god's sake!), somehow made
perfect sense alongside Global Research Assemblies (social process
triangles to the ninth level) and Councils with people rising up to be
accountable for Yellow Knife, among other far corners I never expected
to see (but ultimately came pretty close).

And of course, the fine wind, a wedgeblade inserted into time, with
preschool children living in the Universe and Dancing to Life (or
Bending History, which seemed somehow logically and satisfyingly
interchangeable with Dancing to Life). And "we are the music makers, we
are the builders of dreams; we are the earthbuilders and movers it
seems" With our own somewhat stilted mythologies around the Bureaucratic
Cog (FIRE the one who fails), the Underground Revolutionary (SHOOT the
one who fails), and the Trans-establishment Self (RECONSTRUCT THE
CONTEXT around the one who fails).

And strangely, the answer that now comes to my mind in response to why
I'm here, what I'm doing, and how I'm being is all "for the greater
glory of G-O-D," and this from someone who long ago left behind Sunday
services and any formal religious practice, and with full consciousness
of all the political, economic, and cultural baggage this phrase
entails. At the same time, I've witnessed how this language still
animates and inspires profound community service in the most impossible
situations (think: African American churches in, for example, Rainier
Beach).

The Journey is the context, with its quest for an ever-widening
consciousness and participation in Wholeness. The Kingdom has always
arrived and is always coming in power (honest, this unnerves me to throw
around this language willy nilly, but I somehow blame RS-I for the fact
that it makes any sense to me at any level).

So whatever the question or calling that quickens the current action of
my soul, lies a deeper affiliation with a Wholeness (beyond my
imagining) that is being birthed and against an illusory fragmentation
(around ego, tribe, or ideology) which may come clothed in a reasonable
justification or accommodation for "what's possible."

More about the flow than prematurely measured outcomes, more about the
dance than bending history.

Oops, now this is feeling more like the Earthrise witness that I've been
meaning to offer, although still far short of what I feel I want to say.

I am so profoundly grateful to have stood at the side of a people whose
very presence, for a moment in time (that continues to this day),
interrupts historical forces at the most personal level and invites "no
one special" to an unexpected calling (preschool teacher, healthcare
worker, fund raiser, Town Meeting orchestrator, business facilitator,
yes, even mayor of the city of Indiahoma) as a pivot point for an
emerging Wholeness, already present and coming in power.

Ok, I kind of got wound up there; what was the question again?

Thanks to all of you for all you have been and done, for all you
continue to be and do, until "the end of Time."

Ken Gillgren
Milwaukee Metro, Amarillo, Indiahoma, Minto, Selawik Spud, Anchorage,
Medan, Seoul, Cheong Ju, Tokyo, Seattle.