[Oe List ...] Start the conversation

Sherwood Shankland sherwoodshankland at comcast.net
Fri Dec 14 17:10:27 PST 2012

I was just barely aware of the shooting all day...avoiding the news that I
knew I didn't want to hear...then I listened to NPR's somber report on the
Connecticut tragedy while driving home this evening...kind of holding my
breath as the scraps of information drifted by, sort of numb since we just
went through the Theater shooting here in Aurora...and not so long ago
Columbine...not really wanting to hear the news one more time...when I got
inside the house the tears began with a rush and it seemed like they
wouldn't end anytime soon...at last they eased into weariness and Eunice
brought me a cup of tea...I sat by our fire place and Christmas tree for a
long time...holding my granddaughters big stuffed bear...how many of these
tragedies must we endure...even from afar off they are way too close...I
thought of the presents perhaps already under trees in the families homes
that will not generate the smiles they were destined to evoke...and how the
parents will cope with the empty chairs...Oh thou Mysterious Giver of Life
how can you wrench our hearts with such sudden loss? How can we take this
madness that we have created for ourselves? What now must we do to care for
the grief stricken families...what change must we fight for in our own
hearts, our family attitudes, our community patterns and our laws? Help us
to take this deep brokenness into ourselves and feed our resolve for care
and for justice...I pray once again for the Peace of Christmas to become
real and tough and present in my heart and in yours as we await the gift of
new life. God help us all. Surly together we can turn this madness around.
Sherwood at home in Centennial.