[Dialogue] Completed Life of George Randall West

Salvatore Caruso cplcaruso at igc.org
Fri Jun 4 09:46:18 PDT 2021

Dear  colleagues:

While talking with Karen last evening she suggested I send this message to the OE community. This was sent to the Litibu Ecovillage a couple of days ago.As some of you may remember George & Donnamarie moved to Litibu Mexico in the early 90’s to help establish what has come to be known as the Litibu Ecovillage. What follows is the message we sent…….

We all lost a dear friend, colleague and founding member of the Litibu Ecovillage. George Randall West was a  spiritual giant, pedagogy teacher and created community wherever he planted his feet..

This is a current update on the passing of our dear friend and founding member of the LEV George West is being sent to an expanded list of current members and friends of the LEV plus past members of the LEV.( If we’ve missed anyone please let us know and pass it along )..

THE PASSING..

George had a fall on Saturday May 15th and was taken that evening by ambulance to the Punta Mita Hospital. Several in the LEV community including Kathy, Meg, Jack, Marisol, Miriam & Laura have been extending care in different ways.
Marisol as one of his primary care givers arrived at the hospital the last night to make sure he was comfortable and work out hospital admin details w the family. He did undergo surgery  on Sunday, May 16. He returned to his casa on Monday May 17 for recovery and PT. While home he was comfortable but on pain meds. At his age 87, a fall like this is very hard to recover from. The doctor had visited him on the morning of May 31 finding him improving.  That evening @ 9:30pm George gently stopped breathing. Nick,Marisol and  caregiver Rosario were by his side. Earlier Jack & Miriam were with him as well. He was surrounded by love...

THE LIFE..   A a brief reflection and memories....

GEORGE RANDALL WEST had a very rich life. He is my dear friend, mentor and one of the founders of the LEV.  Here’s a  brief bio I asked three former members ( Karen,Jim and Judith) to put together on his life for us to enjoy. I’m sure all of you have your own stories to add. Please send them as we will use all of this in a future Remembrance Celebration of George’s completed life… In the meantime here’s a page out of life well lived…..

GEORGE provided his creative juices to build comprehensive community development to marginalized villages and cities across the globe thru Institute of Ciltural Affairs ( See a summary of this lifeway in the attachment below).He, with his dear wife, Donnamarie, built the LEV starting in the early 1990’s. With Rod & Rose Worden they formed the core that took raw land and carved out what we all see  and enjoy today...Personally without him Casa Cancion del Mar and the Pas Jardin would not exist.
I can say that he provided the experience in creating the LEV thru all the trial & error of community building he had experienced in the years before thru the ICA where he was a giant in community development.

He found time to write his book about his COMMUNITY experiences in the now  published : “ Creating Community: Finding Meaning in the Place We Live: A Handbook for Comprehensive Community Development, 2012”

Now enjoy reading thru a part of George’s life in this memories doc from Karen, Jim & Judith who ended their reflections with this phase which holds his spirit: “ Many more stories are waiting to be told of George being a social pioneer in his community engagement and a gentle soul in his care for individuals”

WE WILL BE CREATING A WAY TO SHARE STORIES, STAY TUNED.

On behalf of the Litibu Ecovillage,

Salvatore