[Dialogue] Update of ICA Social Research Virtual Gathering

Janet Sanders janetasanders at hotmail.com
Sun May 10 12:49:28 PDT 2020

Hi John
hOW TO PARTICIPATE PROCEDURES

Thanks for joining us for this series of virtual gatherings.  This page gives you 4 important pieces of information for how to participate:

  1.  links you will need to participate on line,

  2.  ground rules/hints and clues for how to participate,

  3.  roles,

  4.  and a participant’s packet with a few additional pages detail our week ahead.

  1.
 LINKS YOU WILL NEED to participate online. (Updated information is posted to these links.  You may want to bookmark them in your browser.)

Link to the Sojourn Schedule<https://drive.google.com/open?id=12HDtiFbfU_n8eOw_60x5EA1NDvjo4nVAW2ZczCyVwUM>

Link to  Our Main conference room<https://meet.google.com/wou-oczc-khh> for the week (we will begin here at every session)

To join the video meeting, click this link: https://meet.google.com/wou-oczc-khh

Otherwise, to join by phone, dial +1 669-238-0511 and enter this PIN: 299 868 271#

     To view more phone numbers, click this link: https://tel.meet/wou-oczc-khh?hs=5

     https://drive.google.com/file/d/11SsM1stpWpWILVi5-63_FpegqukXg6Xn/view?usp=sharing

You will be prompted “Ask to join the meeting”  Click the prompt, enter your name (if prompted) and wait to be admitted by the facilitator.

Link to Breakout rooms<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Lk0T2MaAfoflVU62TBktomekUPZSjjh3J3O86fNbGYE/edit?usp=sharing> these are additional rooms for breakout tables if needed, tech support etc.

Link to the shared sojourn document<https://docs.google.com/document/d/134CjJ_WHpVNFtKCBgxgHzHgzrV6rM0lrkQGKaN9Qh3s/edit?usp=sharing> (this is like our blackboard or sticky wall. (Video’s of previous sessions will be posted here.)

Link to the ICA Social Research website<https://icaglobalarchives.org/>

Link to Tech support:

Tech Support room<https://meet.google.com/hzd-fzbd-dyt> (Google Meet room)

To get help via video meeting, click this link: https://meet.google.com/hzd-fzbd-dyt

Otherwise, to join by phone, dial +1 347-508-5077 and enter this PIN: 589 854 120#

International? To view more phone numbers, click this link: https://tel.meet/hzd-fzbd-dyt?hs=5

To get help with Google meet, go here: Google Meet Help<https://support.google.com/meet#topic=7306097>

  1.
 GROUND RULES/etiquette

  *   We are using Google Meet this week.  If possible, watch a video to familiarize you with this technology.  Here is one.<https://youtu.be/wGXI0KpkR50>

  *   Try to log on a little early so you have an opportunity to make sure things are working and get help connecting if needed.  One of the guides will be available on line 15-20 minutes before the listed start time.

  *   Mute your microphone when you are not speaking.  This cuts down on echoes, feedback and background noises during the session!

The mute button can be activated/deactivated by a keyboard shortcut:

PC: “ctrl” D

MAC: “cmd” D

(This is a “toggle” switch, it alternately turns the mic on and off)

  *   Raise your hand or wave if you want to speak so one of the guides can recognize you.  OH AND UNMUTE your microphone so we can hear you

  *   Say your name to begin — “This is Lynda” when you start speaking and say “I am complete” when you are finished.  AND MUTE your microphone again!

HINTS AND CLUES

  *   Check the lighting so we can see you — no backlight - face into the light. An extra light from your “good” side also helps

  *   Try to set your camera close to your screen to enable eye contact when you are speaking

  *   Turn off your video if you are eating or blowing your nose

  *   If you need them, print out some of the pages in this packet so they are handy in front of you.  OR open up windows on your computer with the most important items:  You may need 3-4 windows open so you can navigate back and forth among them:  One for the Meet main conference room, One for the shared document (blackboard/sticky wall for the session), One for the Social Research website, One for the agenda.

     *   Watch this video on how to work with multiple windows on a PC<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk_djG750y4>

     *   Watch this video on how to work with multiple windows on a MAC<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204948>

     *   Watch this video on how to manage multiple tabs in Chrome<https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-manage-your-google-chrome-tabs>

  *   It is ok to be confused, sort of like these days . . .

  *    ROLES:  There are 3 designated roles for each session.  You, the PARTICIPANT is most important You are the person doing the research and interchange.  Then there is the SESSION GUIDE.  This person is familiar with the topic of the session and will set contexts and lead procedures.  The TECH PERSON will help us all to navigate our online environment

Janet A. Sanders